Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson
    Crane
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sorry to ask you, but is this a thread about cricket? I will change the headline of the thread a little bit to make this for another members clear. Hope you don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm on the train back from London with not that much to do so rhoughtId start a thread where fans can post their Ashes England starting XI. Mine would be:

Cook (obvs)
    Stoneman
    Root
    Browne
    Stokes
    Bairstow
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson
    Crane

What do u guys think of my team and who would u pick???
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Moved to Sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Moved to Sport.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/AR...ENG-SQUAD.html

Yes, I know that one of the Hollyoakes is now dead, the other one is coaching in Afghanistan, and the rest of the squad (and the living Hollyoake, for that matter) is of worryingly advanced age, but this side would certainly defeat the current lot of Australian cricketers any day of the week... yes, even Flambards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carbon Dioxide)
    http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/AR...ENG-SQUAD.html

Yes, I know that one of the Hollyoakes is now dead, the other one is coaching in Afghanistan, and the rest of the squad (and the living Hollyoake, for that matter) is of worryingly advanced age, but this side would certainly defeat the current lot of Australian cricketers any day of the week... yes, even Flambards.
    Michael Atherton is a hero of mine but come on mate, the guy stopped playing cricket internationally a few months after I was born! 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cricinfo)
    Michael Atherton is a hero of mine but come on mate, the guy stopped playing cricket internationally a few months after I was born! 😂😂
    ...my point being exactly that. You could literally field a bunch of ex-cricketers (charty and informal games notwithstanding) that retired a decade-and-a-bit ago and they would still likely beat this lot of Aussies. Smith and Lyon are halfway decent (if not totally, they don't call the latter "the Goat" for nothing), but otherwise the current side appears lacklustre - certainly not of the calibre of the team England had to face up to back in the 90s and '01, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    ...my point being exactly that. You could literally field a bunch of ex-cricketers (charty and informal games notwithstanding) that retired a decade-and-a-bit ago and they would still likely beat this lot of Aussies. Smith and Lyon are halfway decent (if not totally, they don't call the latter "the Goat" for nothing), but otherwise the current side appears lacklustre - certainly not of the calibre of the team England had to face up to back in the 90s and '01, that's for sure.
    Australia are playing at home. Unless the ball swings, they aren't mugs with the bat.

Steve Smith will almost certainly score runs.

Meanwhile, England's top order's been in a mess since 2013/14 it seems with the likes of Root, Stokes, etc constantly bailing them out of situations like 40/3.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - they're a shadow of what they once were. They've still got some decent players though, like Warner, Cummins, Starc and the youngsters Renshaw and Handscomb. Think it'll be a close series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Australia are playing at home. Unless the ball swings, they aren't mugs with the bat.

Steve Smith will almost certainly score runs.

Meanwhile, England's top order's been in a mess since 2013/14 it seems with the likes of Root, Stokes, etc constantly bailing them out of situations like 40/3.
    That's not a huge deal. Even the great teams have some weaknesses and England's happens to be their top order. Imagine if we get the top order to click - we'll be posting 500+ every innings!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Roland-Jones is such a big blow. Finn or Ball to replace him seems likely, especially with the former’s eight-fer in the County Championship last time out. Wood is an option but he remains injury-plagued. Hales may be taken, while it is likely to be between Buttler and Foakes for the reserve ‘keeper spot. If he isn’t selected, Hales will head to South Africa’s Global T20 League to play for Stellenbosch Kings and Buttler to Comilla Victorians in the Bangladesh equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a huge deal. Even the great teams have some weaknesses and England's happens to be their top order. Imagine if we get the top order to click - we'll be posting 500+ every innings!
    Of course - all I was saying Australia aren't as weak as people think. SA blew them away in Australia but they were by far India's toughest opponent in our home season later on.

I'd like to see a nice even series, unlike the 5-0 last time out. Even the 2015 series which England won had massively one sided games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Roland-Jones is such a big blow. Finn or Ball to replace him seems likely, especially with the former’s eight-fer in the County Championship last time out. Wood is an option but he remains injury-plagued. Hales may be taken, while it is likely to be between Buttler and Foakes for the reserve ‘keeper spot. If he isn’t selected, Hales will head to South Africa’s Global T20 League to play for Stellenbosch Kings and Buttler to Comilla Victorians in the Bangladesh equivalent.
    Feel so bad for Wood - seems like a great lad who works hard but his career is being ruined by injury. 😔 Agree about TRJ.

ReputationRep:
    I'd select Ball instead of Crane, and would take Finn.

I think we can retain the Ashes- shame I know so few Aussies to mention it to, if we win.

ReputationRep:
    Of course - all I was saying Australia aren't as weak as people think. SA blew them away in Australia but they were by far India's toughest opponent in our home season later on.

I'd like to see a nice even series, unlike the 5-0 last time out. Even the 2015 series which England won had massively one sided games.
    Yeah - I think they're a side in transition at the moment having lost Johnson, Haddin, Rogers, Clarke, etc. They're good now, but they'll be great in a few years.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - I think they're a side in transition at the moment having lost Johnson, Haddin, Rogers, Clarke, etc. They're good now, but they'll be great in a few years.
    Yeah agree.

Their pace department is pretty set. Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood with Lyon as the spinner. Then they've got Smith, Warner but that's about it in terms of experienced batsman.

Renshaw looked decent against India but I'm not sure about the likes of Wade, Mitchell Marsh. Weak middle order could be an issue for them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah agree.

Their pace department is pretty set. Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood with Lyon as the spinner. Then they've got Smith, Warner but that's about it in terms of experienced batsman.

Renshaw looked decent against India but I'm not sure about the likes of Wade, Mitchell Marsh. Weak middle order could be an issue for them.
    Wade's a pretty poor wicketkeeper too.

ReputationRep:
    Wade's a pretty poor wicketkeeper too.
    On those accounts, both teams' weaknesses seem to be familiar, with there only advantage I see for Australia being that they are at home.

Also, surely Anderson's last Ashes in Australia?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It’s probably worth saying it’s unlikely Crane will play. After all, with the pink ball, it’s traditionally the seamers who do best when the sun goes down. Still, I’d like to see England deploying a legspinner - but does Rashid deserve to be jettisoned so easily? 38 wickets for England at 42. He has never played a home Test, with all 10 of his appearances being abroad.

The Windies are hardly SA, btw. Poor Jennings. I know he struggled, but he had to contend with Philander, Morkel and Rabada - and Maharaj, who is an impressive finger-spinner. The worst WI could conjure up for Stoneman was Gabriel.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.