The Student Room Group

What age should you have a drivers License?

By what age will it be really useful (almost compulsory) to have a drivers License.
I think by 20 would be good.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Matilda612
By what age will it be really useful (almost compulsory) to have a drivers License.
I think by 20 would be good.

Hey there!

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you :h:
Reply 2
Depends. For me I had to get it 17 because I can't get anywhere without it (my mum doesn't drive).
I don't think it should be compulsory to have one. If you live in London or another big city you really don't need one unless you move out of the city
Original post by Jackieox
I don't think it should be compulsory to have one. If you live in London or another big city you really don't need one unless you move out of the city

I agree that it shouldn't bve compulsory to have one. But I think it would be really useful too have one be 20 ish.
You should only when you need that, and treat the thing responsibly.

The best way to learn to drive, is probably to start as a kid and have a rally or racing driver to be your teacher.
I'm driving since I was 14 years old, and entered motorsport when I was 19. That gave me a lot of skills that saved my skin a couple of times, but I'm scared about how irresponsible other drivers sometimes are, and how much risk I did take two or three times. Not on track or special stage, but on public roads. Once my youth responsiblity almost got me killed, I was 18 by then. Without my rally skills I would have been dead already.
Reply 6
You should get it done before uni
Reply 7
I guess it depends where you live and how far everything is i learnt to drive when i was 18 and its helped me get around as uni is quite a distance from my house and public transport not being reliable enough. But at the end of the day it is very expensive i probably spend around 2k+ on insurance, fuel and parking in a year
Im 21 and still havent learnt because it quite frankly wasn't needed and is very expensive, but my sister learnt at 17 because she really needs it to get to and from work. I will learn next year before university, but its not needed unless youre planning on buying a car. If you go to a university where trains and other transport is easily accessible then i wouldn't bother - its better to learn when you actually need it
I got it now and im 17. Even though I dont drive much it means insurance will be cheaper by the time I do get a car. So while it is expensive, in the long term it can actually be cheaper.
Started learning and gained my licence at 20.

No hard rules, my view is people should learn when necessary and around 20 is a reasonable age. As an opinion on age, it's mature enough to be fully aware of the responsibility and self discipline needed to be a good, safe and patient driver.

Quick Reply

Latest