The Student Room Group

Does depression improve creativity?

What do you think?
(edited 4 years ago)
:beard: I'd not say "improve" but possibly it increases it temporarily?
I went through a rough depressive episode and can say that I was very into poetry for some reason. Before this I had always hated it so much! Wouldn't even read a poem unless it was for GCSE. But I really got into writing poems :smile:
That's my 50p on the matter anywho :colondollar:

Should this be in educational debate though? :hmmm:
(edited 6 years ago)
Not in my case. When I'm in a good mood I wanna do stuff like make music, get some writing done and I can get my flow going and all that stuff and I enjoy what I'm doing which in turn means more creativity through an open and eager mind. When I'm going through a bout of depression I just can't be arsed with it all, literally can't muster up the motivation to do it and can't concentrate on it.
I think it depends on the individual. For me depression is more lie in bed staring at the ceiling with the most creative thing I do being how many empty bottles of vodka I can stack on top of my overflowing trashcan before they topple.
Reply 4
Creative subjects made me depressed
:colondollar:
I was thinking possibly mental health? :beard:

Original post by WoodyMKC
Not in my case. When I'm in a good mood I wanna do stuff like make music, get some writing done and I can get my flow going and all that stuff and I enjoy what I'm doing which in turn means more creativity through an open and eager mind. When I'm going through a bout of depression I just can't be arsed with it all, literally can't muster up the motivation to do it and can't concentrate on it.

Everyone is different :hugs: Hope you are doing ok Woody
Original post by Sabertooth
I think it depends on the individual. For me depression is more lie in bed staring at the ceiling with the most creative thing I do being how many empty bottles of vodka I can stack on top of my overflowing trashcan before they topple.

:penguinhug:
Original post by SGHD26716
Creative subjects made me depressed

Biology is the one for me
honestly my GCSE experience was more traumatic xD
Reply 6
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Biology is the one for me
honestly my GCSE experience was more traumatic xD

Loved biology apart from the biodiversity crap
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Everyone is different :hugs: Hope you are doing ok Woody

That's it really :h: Yeah, I'm doing good ta :biggrin: Hope you're well :smile:
I think it can be a source of inspiration, but I also have days when it takes a lot of effort to just hold conversation because I'm so mentally drained. When I feel good mentally, I'm a lot more productive and level-headed. It might take more effort to get in touch with intense emotions in order to make creative stuff, but after that being creative is a lot more organised and for-filling. It's easier to persist when I hit a wall and the end result is often more well-rounded.

I think mental illness can enhance creativity sometimes, but it's not really worth it.
Reply 9
For me it has occasionally been a source of inspiration but in general it actually stifles my creativity.
Reply 10
Not in my experience, it did the opposite.
I meant that your own feelings can inspire you, but I get what you mean :biggrin: You definitely can make some good stuff while in that mood though, idk what it is but sometimes stuff just happens. It's not worthy staying depressed for, but I guess you could say it's a positive side. Like even though I hate dealing with my mental health stuff, it's made me more empathetic and sensitive. If I could, I don't think I would choose to go back and change my experiences because of that.
Reply 12
Churchill did a lot of rather good watercolours when he had his "black dog", or built his garden wall.

I'm not sure depression "improves" creativity, but being creative can certainly be therapeutic when you are "low".

On the other hand the "manic" phase of bipolar individuals does seem to improve creativity. Van Gogh being the prime example.

Quick Reply