Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does depression improve creativity? Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Depression is not something that is positively spoken of. I can't help but wonder though, does it improve creativity? I remember when I was depressed a few years ago. Combined with that teenage stage we all went through, I managed to write some amazing poems and small passages. If I tried to do the same today I couldn't quite tap into it, not even 40% of that. I have also seen art drawn by people suffering from chronic depression. It is surreal. What do you think?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Depression is not something that is positively spoken of. I can't help but wonder though, does it improve creativity? I remember when I was depressed a few years ago. Combined with that teenage stage we all went through, I managed to write some amazing poems and small passages. If I tried to do the same today I couldn't quite tap into it, not even 40% of that. I have also seen art drawn by people suffering from chronic depression. It is surreal. What do you think?
    :beard: I'd not say "improve" but possibly it increases it temporarily?
    I went through a rough depressive episode and can say that I was very into poetry for some reason. Before this I had always hated it so much! Wouldn't even read a poem unless it was for GCSE. But I really got into writing poems
    That's my 50p on the matter anywho

Should this be in educational debate though? :hmmm:
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    :beard: I'd not say "improve" but possibly it increases it temporarily?
    I went through a rough depressive episode and can say that I was very into poetry for some reason. Before this I had always hated it so much! Wouldn't even read a poem unless it was for GCSE. But I really got into writing poems
    Thats my 50p on the matter anywho

Should this be in educational debate though? :hmmm:
    I see... and I think so, idk where else it would belong😂

ReputationRep:
    Not in my case. When I'm in a good mood I wanna do stuff like make music, get some writing done and I can get my flow going and all that stuff and I enjoy what I'm doing which in turn means more creativity through an open and eager mind. When I'm going through a bout of depression I just can't be arsed with it all, literally can't muster up the motivation to do it and can't concentrate on it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the individual. For me depression is more lie in bed staring at the ceiling with the most creative thing I do being how many empty bottles of vodka I can stack on top of my overflowing trashcan before they topple.

ReputationRep:
    Creative subjects made me depressed
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I see... and I think so, idk where else it would belong😂

I was thinking possibly mental health? :beard:

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Not in my case. When I'm in a good mood I wanna do stuff like make music, get some writing done and I can get my flow going and all that stuff and I enjoy what I'm doing which in turn means more creativity through an open and eager mind. When I'm going through a bout of depression I just can't be arsed with it all, literally can't muster up the motivation to do it and can't concentrate on it.
    Everyone is different :hugs: Hope you are doing ok Woody
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I think it depends on the individual. For me depression is more lie in bed staring at the ceiling with the most creative thing I do being how many empty bottles of vodka I can stack on top of my overflowing trashcan before they topple.
    :penguinhug:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Biology is the one for me
    honestly my GCSE experience was more traumatic xD

ReputationRep:

Biology is the one for me
    honestly my GCSE experience was more traumatic xD
    Loved biology apart from the biodiversity crap

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different :hugs: Hope you are doing ok Woody
    That's it really Yeah, I'm doing good ta Hope you're well

ReputationRep:
    I think it can be a source of inspiration, but I also have days when it takes a lot of effort to just hold conversation because I'm so mentally drained. When I feel good mentally, I'm a lot more productive and level-headed. It might take more effort to get in touch with intense emotions in order to make creative stuff, but after that being creative is a lot more organised and for-filling. It's easier to persist when I hit a wall and the end result is often more well-rounded.

I think mental illness can enhance creativity sometimes, but it's not really worth it.

ReputationRep:
    For me it has occasionally been a source of inspiration but in general it actually stifles my creativity.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Yeah, goes to show depression can have a different impact on every person.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Modern studies made me depressed😕😂
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocodile_ears)
    I think it can be a source of inspiration, but I also have days when it takes a lot of effort to just hold conversation because I'm so mentally drained. When I feel good mentally, I'm a lot more productive and level-headed. It might take more effort to get in touch with intense emotions in order to make creative stuff, but after that being creative is a lot more organised and for-filling. It's easier to persist when I hit a wall and the end result is often more well-rounded.

I think mental illness can enhance creativity sometimes, but it's not really worth it.
    I don't think anyone is planning to use mental ilnes for creativity haha. But when you get into that mood it just happens sometimes, magic occurs.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I was thinking possibly mental health? :beard:
    Oh yeah

ReputationRep:
    Not in my experience, it did the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone is planning to use mental ilnes for creativity haha. But when you get into that mood it just happens sometimes, magic occurs.
    I meant that your own feelings can inspire you, but I get what you mean You definitely can make some good stuff while in that mood though, idk what it is but sometimes stuff just happens. It's not worthy staying depressed for, but I guess you could say it's a positive side. Like even though I hate dealing with my mental health stuff, it's made me more empathetic and sensitive. If I could, I don't think I would choose to go back and change my experiences because of that.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Churchill did a lot of rather good watercolours when he had his "black dog", or built his garden wall.

I'm not sure depression "improves" creativity, but being creative can certainly be therapeutic when you are "low".

On the other hand the "manic" phase of bipolar individuals does seem to improve creativity. Van Gogh being the prime example.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.