Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Opinions on SJT prep courses?

I'm hearing lots of mixed reviews.

ReputationRep:
    Think it's a bit unnecessary tbh, the official paper was very representative and the mark scheme gave good explanations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agree with above.

I think the only time I'd recommend them is if you know you're someone who struggles with timings in exams, or losing your head and stressing out and messing up because of that. In those cases maybe it might be better to have a bit of extra reassurance to keep you calm during the exam.

Personally I just worked slowly through the official paper once (with my dad lol), and tried to formulate the basic rules and guidelines they seemed to want. Then I repeated it about two weeks later, and then again a few days before the exam. I did ok (slightly above average I think?) with this method

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think working through the official paper is what I'll do 2/3 weeks before. I'm not living near a course, so it would be quite expensive when I factor in travel, food, accommodation and the cost of the course as well.

The F1s I've spoken to who did courses last year and then subsequently did well in the SJT may well have got those scores regardless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.