I have no friends at my university and I'm sad Watch

Ianasóir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
It's my second year of university and I don't have any friends at my uni, and it's quite depressing.

I'm Muslim, so I don't drink or party or go for girls or anything like that, which gives me very little in common with many of the lads at my university, I've tried being friends with the Islamic Society lads, and they're all very polite, but I'm the odd one out since they're mostly all Asian and Middle Eastern, speak different languages and share a culture with one another, and I'm a white Scottish lad who only speaks Scots/English and some classical Arabic, and even though they mean well I get treated like a recent convert novelty, which is quite irritating since I've been Muslim my whole life and I spent half of my life living in the UAE.

My studies are very demanding and I work, so I don't really have the energy to get involved with societies, and I suppose I miss out on a lot of social stuff because I live at home with my parents and drive to school every day, which makes going to university feel more like commuting to work. I have good friends outside of university, who I love dearly, but it makes me sad to think that everyone else is making these close friendships that they'll have for life, and there are only two people at my entire university that I've ever intentionally met up with outside of an academic context.

I don't know why I'm posting this, just venting.

Good luck, may you all be blessed.
Min min1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll be your friend hang in there bud

I'm Muslim, so I don't drink or party or go for girls or anything like that, which gives me very little in common with many of the lads at my university, I've tried being friends with the Islamic Society lads, and they're all very polite, but I'm the odd one out since they're mostly all Asian and Middle Eastern, speak different languages and share a culture with one another, and I'm a white Scottish lad who only speaks Scots/English and some classical Arabic, and even though they mean well I get treated like a recent convert novelty, which is quite irritating since I've been Muslim my whole life and I spent half of my life living in the UAE.

My studies are very demanding and I work, so I don't really have the energy to get involved with societies, and I suppose I miss out on a lot of social stuff because I live at home with my parents and drive to school every day, which makes going to university feel more like commuting to work. I have good friends outside of university, who I love dearly, but it makes me sad to think that everyone else is making these close friendships that they'll have for life, and there are only two people at my entire university that I've ever intentionally met up with outside of an academic context.

I don't know why I'm posting this, just venting.

Good luck, may you all be blessed.[/QUOTE]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads