Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need extra money for tuition fees but I have no idea what to do! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am in need of serious advice, and I don’t have anyone else to turn to. The short story is I just got accepted into doing a MSC (2 years course) I have my SFE (£10,280) sorted and everything else, however, when I went to get my ID card I was told my SFE just won’t cut it, and without paying the extra price I won’t be able to take the course.

I would need to pay an extra £5000 just to cover the first year and allow me a full place, as you can tell I didn't have this money and said I'm authorised to pay £2500 first year and second year to cover this. This is because SFE is paying me in two years “so two spit payments” and the university want’s 50% first year.

I was informed this two days ago, and I have until 6 October to get this money, and that’s why I’m here, I have no idea what to do and where I can go! I don’t work, and even if I found a job right now, I don’t think I would make that much that fast, and I find it hard to get work because of my autism (hopefully to get DSA).

I thought maybe someone here had any ideas, in the first year the university will take all of my SFE and I will have nothing, not even a penny, lucky I choose to stay at home.

Thank you

- Bacon

ReputationRep:
    Which university is this? It sounds ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxlloutboyy)
    Which university is this? It sounds ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Royal holloway, I feel the same way but I hav come so far to just back away

ReputationRep:
    Ring student finance and ask if they've had this problem before. Is it possible to change university to one that allows you to pay normally?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxlloutboyy)
    Ring student finance and ask if they've had this problem before. Is it possible to change university to one that allows you to pay normally?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The issue is not the uni or SFE, it's the fact my course is two years long and so SFE gives me half my money one year and the other half the next year.

But the uni want's 50% of the fees the first year and that's where I come in short.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebacon)
    The issue is not the uni or SFE, it's the fact my course is two years long and so SFE gives me half my money one year and the other half the next year.

But the uni want's 50% of the fees the first year and that's where I come in short.
    Wouldn't the first year be 50% of your loan..? I'm confused as to where the issue is.

ReputationRep:
    6th of October is way too early

borrow money from friends and family - pay them back when you get a part-time job (I don't know if you can get a student overdraft?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebacon)

Sorry I'm confused where the problem is -you've said the university wants 50% of the fees now but also said SFE are giving you 50% now so?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.