Imperial weights and measures scrapped by 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Awful news. The Government, under pressure from the EU, has made plans to scrap all imperial units by 2009. Although I like the simplicity of the metric system, the imperial system plays a vital part of our lives, minds and hearts.

So, I'll have a 113 grammer with fries, and a 568 ml of cider.

Read it at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3934353.stm
DazYa
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
Weird.
innercitylife
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If kids were taught the conversions from a young age - as a piece of general knowledge - then I don't see why this should be a problem at all. It seems like a lot of hassle really and like anyone is really going to change anyway. My grandad still works everything out in shillings and pence, and that's been gone for yonks.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Awful news. The Government, under pressure from the EU, has made plans to scrap all imperial units by 2009. Although I like the simplicity of the metric system, the imperial system plays a vital part of our lives, minds and hearts.

Read it at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3934353.stm
Think how much the DTLR is going to have to spend on replacing ALL the roadsigns! :eek: Taxes are going up people... im of to Tuvalu :cool:
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
If I ever say that.......shoot me.
jpowell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
People who don't want to change to the metric system are simply proclaiming to the world that they are too stupid to understand the new units. If the rest of the bloody world (except the Americans) use the metric system then why shouldn't we?

As for all the complete bull **** about losing our independance, you people need to get a life.
Niaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yer but what about shops that are becoming private clubs you pay like 1p for lifetime membership and can buy stuff in imperial
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Imperial is inconvenient. We live in a world built on the decimal base, so the metric system is only right to apply.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree we need to shift to metric, but slowly, a lot of people (the majority of the population) only understand imperial, so to ban the measurement in just five years is ridiculous.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Imperial is inconvenient. We live in a world built on the decimal base, so the metric system is only right to apply.
I agree... to some degree... I like the way we work now to be honest, its 100 miles from here to london but that concrete block is 3 metres square. I chop and change all the time. We should stick 2 fingers up to Europe and do things OUR way. Christ... the EU are like a bunch of Townies! :mad:
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And please, some traditions people hang on to just halt progress. Down with imperial measurements, down with monarchy (err best keep that one down)...
crana
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
i really hate the road signs in feet and yards and whatever. i can cope with miles but i never got the hang of the other distances..
MrsSnufkin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If only we didn't have ten finger.
Then we might have started using a different base.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana)
i really hate the road signs in feet and yards and whatever. i can cope with miles but i never got the hang of the other distances..
Me neither... miles, pints, stones and pounds (for weighing myself) and feet and inches (for measuring my height) is all i use though i couldnt convert any of that into some other imperial measure. We should keep all that because its traditional and it makes sense but full "metric-isation" (i just coined that term) isnt appropriate like Hord Huntroyde says because there are people that just dont understand metric.
We dont need reform, we just need to nuke Europe... that'll solve everything :cool:
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

....or do what Europe does and say:

I'll have a portion of Chips.
I'll have a Cider.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
....or do what Europe does and say:

I'll have a portion of Chips.
I'll have a Cider.
He was referring to a quarter-pounder...
Dr. Blazed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't see why we shouldn't continue imperial for milk, beer, cider, cheese, weighing ourselves, road signs etc. Everyone understands it, so what's the problem ? :confused:
A0307
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There's no need to change.
raagyone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Everyone will still ask for a 'pint' though. They can't stop people doing that. If they do they are just, in the words of Alan Patridge, "saaaad".
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Whilst I resent being forced to do anything by the EU, metric is much nicer and I'll be happy to use it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (541)
80.27%
Leave (133)
19.73%

Watched Threads