catedamb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I moved from Italy to the Uk and I’m doing BTEC in applied science plus Gcses in Maths and English! The only problem is that I’ll have to take foundation maths which means I’m gonna get a C and not more than that! Next year I’m switching to HE Acces course to medicine and biomedical sciences. Most of the universities wants at least a B in maths so I’m thinking about doing a three years degree amd then go on to graduate entry MBBS 4yr. I have three choices Biomedicine, Biomedical sciences or pharmacy. Which one is better?-Thankyou in advance
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Biomedicine and Biomedical Sciences are just different names for the same course. Pharmacy is something else entirely though, although there is content overlap between all of them. The former courses will focus more on essentially training you to become a research scientist in the area of biomedical science (or a few will be more focused on training you to fit the role of a professional biomedical scientist who would work in an NHS lab). Pharmacy will be preparing you to become a practicing pharmacist, and being able both intellectually and legally to dispense medicines. Neither is necessarily "better" - the best would be the one you have the highest chance of getting a first class degree in, since graduate entry medicine is extremely competitive (moreso than undergraduate entry medicine).

Is there a reason you can't take the higher tier for maths as well?
catedamb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Biomedicine and Biomedical Sciences are just different names for the same course. Pharmacy is something else entirely though, although there is content overlap between all of them. The former courses will focus more on essentially training you to become a research scientist in the area of biomedical science (or a few will be more focused on training you to fit the role of a professional biomedical scientist who would work in an NHS lab). Pharmacy will be preparing you to become a practicing pharmacist, and being able both intellectually and legally to dispense medicines. Neither is necessarily "better" - the best would be the one you have the highest chance of getting a first class degree in, since graduate entry medicine is extremely competitive (moreso than undergraduate entry medicine).

Is there a reason you can't take the higher tier for maths as well?
Thanks for replying! Even though I spoke to my tutor and asked to take higher maths the management told that it is not possible, so my only chance is to study medical science and do my best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (159)
14.52%
I'm not sure (47)
4.29%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (326)
29.77%
I have already dropped out (31)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (532)
48.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise