The Student Room Group

Should I defer my university entry by 2 years to be eligible for 'home' fees?

I just finished my A levels with 5A*. I was about to start my Engineering course at the University of Cambridge, but 3 weeks before my course, my fee status was changed from "home" to "International", which is about £40,000 per annum. Apparently, they made a mistake initially assessing my fee status, I don't meet residency requirements as I've been resident in the UK for a bit over a year. My family doesn't have that kind of money, so I have deferred my entry to 2018 and I will be using the gap year to gain industrial experience, raise funds and apply for scholarships. I will still be an International student next year, however, if a take another year off, I will qualify as a home student in 2019. I will save at least £120,000 during my 4 years if I do that, but I will graduate aged almost 25. Will my age cause problems with employment even though I will have two years of work experience? I would like to have a second set of eyes on my situation. Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Interesting question
Well done on those grades though
Will Cambridge allow you to defer for another year?
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure you have to be in the country for five years, not three, to be classed as a home student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While it would probably be financially reasonable, as if you begin the course as an international student, to my knowledge you will pay the international fees for every year of the course. However I'm very unsure that Cambridge would allow you to defer for two years in a row. I would suggest contacting your college and discussing the situation and see what they say. You may need to withdraw from your place and reapply once you have home student status.

Also make sure that you're certain the time period is correct for being classed as a home student. You may also want to consider what you'll do in those year - if you apply 5 years out of school, they almost certainly will want to see some recent study nearer the time you apply.
Original post by Naziur Rahman
I just finished my A levels with 5A*. I was about to start my Engineering course at the University of Cambridge, but 3 weeks before my course, my fee status was changed from "home" to "International", which is about £40,000 per annum. Apparently, they made a mistake initially assessing my fee status, I don't meet residency requirements as I've been resident in the UK for a bit over a year. My family doesn't have that kind of money, so I have deferred my entry to 2018 and I will be using the gap year to gain industrial experience, raise funds and apply for scholarships. I will still be an International student next year, however, if a take another year off, I will qualify as a home student in 2019. I will save at least £120,000 during my 4 years if I do that, but I will graduate aged almost 25. Will my age cause problems with employment even though I will have two years of work experience? I would like to have a second set of eyes on my situation. Thanks.

Hello, I am suffering from the same situation. What happened now?

Latest

Trending

Trending