WatermelonSmash
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm in Year 13 and am at the point of choosing a university. I know i want to study Civil Engineering BEng- so thats a start, but i'm stuck as to where to begin as many many universities offer this course.

I had to retake two of my three subjects due to bad results but my predicted and actual grade are as follows:

Product design (A2) - B overall
Maths (predicted) - C-B
Tech Level Engineering (predicted) - Distinction (equiv. A)

Any tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated, as the sheer amount of information is ridiculous
Kirsty_Louise3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My advice would be to go to lots of open days and get a feel of the university. I always apply to ones where I feel like I would fit in, if you don't feel right at the university then chances are you won't be happy and may not work to your full potential. Also, always look out for the percentage of people who, after their degree, get a job in a field that is linked to the degree. Happy University shopping!!😊😊
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Useful website - www.whatuni.com

You can search on subject and then add your predicted grades / area of the country / type of Uni etc to narrow the field (just double check the requirements on each Unis own website for A level subjects and GCSEs etc). This will give you a list of likely Unis.

Next step. Read the course descriptions and work out if each course has what you want and are interested in. What extras are on offer like industrial placements, study abroad etc. Look at their open day films on Youtube. Narrow the list down to about 5-ish. Go to some real Open Days and go to subject talks, ask questions and get a feel for each Uni. Things will start to become clearer.

Remember you dont have to go to Uni straight from school. If you feel uncertain about this, take a year or so to think about it. Get a job or apprenticeship and think about what you'd really like to do. There may be pressure from friends/school/home to 'go to Uni' - but if it isnt right for you right now, then have a 'planned gap year' - or several - and do it later if you want to.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As advised, visiting universities can be useful, however it's not absolutely essential and can be a major financial hurdle for some - you can get a lot of information about the "style" (i.e. campus vs city) from their websites or even google maps using streetview.

You should also make sure you meet the entry criteria, particularly whether you engineering qualification is acceptable in lieu of physics/a science subject if that is an additional requirement to Maths for the course you're looking at. Many do, but it's worth making sure, and that will filter out a few anyway.

It can be helpful to look at the course structures and optional modules available, as well as the research done by the department. While the overall structure should be similar, they often will have minor differences, and differences in optional modules. Additionally the research interests of the departments are likely to be different, and will influence what you end up doing in your final year project/dissertation. While that's a long way off, if you have a particular interest in one area (for example, hydrogeology and water engineering, structural engineering and bridge design, railway engineering, etc, etc.) then this can help narrow down your search.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads