The Student Room Group

University Contents Insurance

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm moving out of halls and staying in a house this year and as a result I'm looking for contents insurance. The problem I'm having is that I don't seem to be able to find anyone who covers walk-in theft. Does anyone know if any insurer does this still, I'm just worried that if anything did happen I wouldn't be able to claim if I couldn't prove there was forced entry.

So far I've looked at Endleigh and Cover4Students. For Endleigh I did see some references to walk in theft in the past, however it now seems as if they don't provide the option to cover against that. As for Cover4Students, they do seem to cover walk in theft but I'm unsure of how reputable they are.

Thanks for your time.
Original post by Paul F1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm moving out of halls and staying in a house this year and as a result I'm looking for contents insurance. The problem I'm having is that I don't seem to be able to find anyone who covers walk-in theft. Does anyone know if any insurer does this still, I'm just worried that if anything did happen I wouldn't be able to claim if I couldn't prove there was forced entry.

So far I've looked at Endleigh and Cover4Students. For Endleigh I did see some references to walk in theft in the past, however it now seems as if they don't provide the option to cover against that. As for Cover4Students, they do seem to cover walk in theft but I'm unsure of how reputable they are.

Thanks for your time.

If it's not on their website then you could ask them for a copy of their terms and conditions.Will your individual bedroom door have a lock on it? If it does then you can certainly prove forced entry that way
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If it's not on their website then you could ask them for a copy of their terms and conditions.Will your individual bedroom door have a lock on it? If it does then you can certainly prove forced entry that way

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if my door has a lock on it, I don't recall it having one when I went for my house viewing and my room-mate was also unsure when I asked him, but I'll certainly check it out when I get back. I had a look through their terms and conditions, it said they didn't cover theft if the door was left unlocked or something but I'll have to double-check it again.
Original post by Paul F1
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if my door has a lock on it, I don't recall it having one when I went for my house viewing and my room-mate was also unsure when I asked him, but I'll certainly check it out when I get back. I had a look through their terms and conditions, it said they didn't cover theft if the door was left unlocked or something but I'll have to double-check it again.

it doesnt seem hopeful in that case, but it's good you're looking for cover for that situation as most people don't think of it until their housemate leaves a window open by accident.

Quick Reply

Latest