The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jckc123
haha, exact same thought from me when he said LNR. (why would you want to come here )

for me, im inclined towards, NWE, york and humber and trent.

Yeah, the only people I know who want to stay here are mainly staying for convenience (already have houses/spouses etc).
Reply 21
Do we know how the primary allocation list works? is there a minimum FPAS score you need to make the cut off?
Reply 22
Original post by Soulx
So what deaneries are people interested in? I am keen on WM central or LNR. Have not had a proper thought about the rest yet.

West Mids central is much more competitive than LNR... Have always heard the QE is not great for F1s, even though everyone wants to go there
Reply 23
I'm quite surprised by the fact that the Northern school is so under-subscribed. Newcastle is quite a nice place to live in and the hospitals around have some of the best rated teaching for foundation years.
Original post by Wolfy^
I'm quite surprised by the fact that the Northern school is so under-subscribed. Newcastle is quite a nice place to live in and the hospitals around have some of the best rated teaching for foundation years.

Out of interest, what FPAS scores are the cut offs for the Newcastle Trust hospitals, do you know? Northern is undersubscribed but I feel like the city hospitals won't be :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by BakedBeanz
Out of interest, what FPAS scores are the cut offs for the Newcastle Trust hospitals, do you know? Northern is undersubscribed but I feel like the city hospitals won't be :frown:

You make a fair point. I think they don't have the lowest admitted scores for each individual trust on record but I've just emailed them to double check.

The deanery covers a pretty large geographical area, but apart from 2-3 locations, everything else can be commuted to and from if you set up shop somewhere in Newcastle/Sunderland/Gateshead.
Original post by Wolfy^

I’m tempted by Northern in a way, because of the ratings. And it does look to have a good amount of jobs with paeds f2 in. But it’s too much of a move and realistically too far north (I don’t do well with cold, I know I live in Britain but not sure about living that far north... silly I know).

I think Trent is best compromise, guaranteed to get in (barring any disaster), good chance to get a job I want and cheap to live. But somewhere like Northern might be second choice.
Original post by Wolfy^
You make a fair point. I think they don't have the lowest admitted scores for each individual trust on record but I've just emailed them to double check.

The deanery covers a pretty large geographical area, but apart from 2-3 locations, everything else can be commuted to and from if you set up shop somewhere in Newcastle/Sunderland/Gateshead.

Aww great idea to email! Do you mind letting us know if they reply? :smile: Yeah that's true! At least there's no chance of getting somewhere as isolated as the Isle of Man (North West)!
Reply 28
Cannot believe applications are opening on Monday!!! I just feel like I don't know enough about the different areas. I would like to go to WM central but then stuck for choice after that. It is competitive I know. Does anyone know of any info about what the surrounding places are like? EBH, WM South, WM North, LNR? WM North lowest point was 62... don't know why it is so low.
Reply 29
Original post by Ghotay
West Mids central is much more competitive than LNR... Have always heard the QE is not great for F1s, even though everyone wants to go there

I keep hearing that too. What have you heard about QE in particular?
Reply 30
Original post by ForestCat
Rare to see someone keen on LNR, our med school is driving hard for us to stay here.

Personally Trent is top and given the competition ratios from last few years, it would take some kind of disaster for me not to get in.

Nottingham is great city. Decent living costs, good social atmosphere etc. I just have been here too long so fancy a change but still ranking it in my top 5 I think. Are you interest in the West or the East programmes of Trent?
Original post by Moiety
Nottingham is great city. Decent living costs, good social atmosphere etc. I just have been here too long so fancy a change but still ranking it in my top 5 I think. Are you interest in the West or the East programmes of Trent?

West. Aiming Derby and Chesterfield really. Maybe Kings Mill. Don’t fancy Nottingham really
Reply 32
Original post by Moiety
I keep hearing that too. What have you heard about QE in particular?

It's just a very 'little fish in a big pond' vibe. It's a HUGE hospital and you aren't very noticed as an individual. Also it's a big tertiary centre for lots of stuff so there may be things you see there that aren't super relevant to everyday practice, especially on the liver unit etc.

To be fair though most of the F1/2s I spoke to were reasonably content. And speaking from my own experience as a student, the A&E and ITU are absolutely amazing departments, if either of those are of interest to you.

Original post by Moiety
Cannot believe applications are opening on Monday!!! I just feel like I don't know enough about the different areas. I would like to go to WM central but then stuck for choice after that. It is competitive I know. Does anyone know of any info about what the surrounding places are like? EBH, WM South, WM North, LNR? WM North lowest point was 62... don't know why it is so low.

WM North is low because of three reasons: 1) All the towns in it are random places that aren't known for anything, and no particularly nice countryside, so no one really picks it out as an area 2) Mid Staffs was such a scandal people avoid it based on name alone 3) Staffs and arguably Wolverhampton are too far to commute to from Birmingham, whereas most of the places in WM South are commutable (except Hereford which is only small)

Actually though, New Cross in Wolverhampton was one of the best hospitals I was placed at. I went through all of the medical departments, are other than one renal consultant being a ****, there were all excellently run with great teams. Wolverhampton isn't even that bad of a town either, I don't think. Russel's Hall in Dudley is also good, though not as good.

West Mids South has some nice towns/countryside. Hereford is a cute little town and DGH and I enjoyed my time there, but it's not really commutable from Brum if that's what you were looking for. Worcester has the Malverns which are nice and is a nice town, but I was never at the hospital.
Reply 33
Original post by Ghotay
It's just a very 'little fish in a big pond' vibe. It's a HUGE hospital and you aren't very noticed as an individual. Also it's a big tertiary centre for lots of stuff so there may be things you see there that aren't super relevant to everyday practice, especially on the liver unit etc.

To be fair though most of the F1/2s I spoke to were reasonably content. And speaking from my own experience as a student, the A&E and ITU are absolutely amazing departments, if either of those are of interest to you.

WM North is low because of three reasons: 1) All the towns in it are random places that aren't known for anything, and no particularly nice countryside, so no one really picks it out as an area 2) Mid Staffs was such a scandal people avoid it based on name alone 3) Staffs and arguably Wolverhampton are too far to commute to from Birmingham, whereas most of the places in WM South are commutable (except Hereford which is only small)

Actually though, New Cross in Wolverhampton was one of the best hospitals I was placed at. I went through all of the medical departments, are other than one renal consultant being a ****, there were all excellently run with great teams. Wolverhampton isn't even that bad of a town either, I don't think. Russel's Hall in Dudley is also good, though not as good.

West Mids South has some nice towns/countryside. Hereford is a cute little town and DGH and I enjoyed my time there, but it's not really commutable from Brum if that's what you were looking for. Worcester has the Malverns which are nice and is a nice town, but I was never at the hospital.

Thank you so much for the info! Really helpful! Hereford wasn't always part of WM South was it? Mmm not many of wm south jobs include Hereford (i'd like to avoid it if I could!). Do many of the Bham grads generally stay in WM central? Any idea what Heartlands and Good Hope are like?
Anyone has any experience on yorkshire and humber, especially towards sheffield and leeds. :smile:
Having a last minute thought about applying to Newcastle etc instead of Trent. Had originally thought about this ages ago, before applications were properly looming. I think it will come down to which has the best selection of jobs with paeds f2.
Nobody considering the south west? I had an amazing time during my foundation years in peninsula and it's a beautiful part of the world.
I now train in Severn and the training is good quality and F1s are very happy here too!
Happy to answer and questions about the region :smile:
Original post by Smile88egc
Nobody considering the south west? I had an amazing time during my foundation years in peninsula and it's a beautiful part of the world.
I now train in Severn and the training is good quality and F1s are very happy here too!
Happy to answer and questions about the region :smile:

I do remember that a few people on here have been quite positive about it. However its just a bit too far away and probably more expensive to live in than I would want.
Reply 38
Original post by Moiety
Thank you so much for the info! Really helpful! Hereford wasn't always part of WM South was it? Mmm not many of wm south jobs include Hereford (i'd like to avoid it if I could!). Do many of the Bham grads generally stay in WM central? Any idea what Heartlands and Good Hope are like?

Yeah a good 50% of Birmingham grads stay in Brum I'd say

Heartlands, Good Hope and Solihull are all... fine. Solihull is the posh part of Brum and a nice area, though I didn't have huge exposure to the hospital. Heartlands is a majority minority area with lots of deprivation and patients who don't speak English etc. I did surgery there and have no strong feelings about it. I was never at Good Hope.

At the med school there is a thing about heart of england being the worst placements: 'no heart, no hope, no soul'. I think that's probably just because it's a funny aphorism though
How's everyone getting along with their applications? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending