The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm hoping to stay as close to London really, would be nice to get out as well but I think for convenience's sake (family and friends who all live in the city) it would be good to not be too far away! So, putting South Thames first and then working in a spiral around London.

I have to ask my current consultant about being my clinical referee though... Have my academic one all sorted but not my clinical one :/
If I were to get into South Thames, I may be bottom decile within it - does anyone know what hospitals or areas I would most likely end up with?
Hey guys! Quite stressed out about this:
Dont have any additional degrees but have a publication and some international and national presentations. Still want to apply to Oxford for AFP as second choice in case miracles happen. But still very interested in first choice AFP (Y&H), which is more realistic.

Fair plan or absolutely wasting my second AUoA choice? Any advice would be amazing :h:
Hey! Just wondering where did you find out about the ratings for northern? I would love nothing more than if there was a website which just had ratigs for all the foundatiosn trusts from F1s and F2s as well as the best hospitals within for teaching hahah
Original post by pizzalust
Hey guys! Quite stressed out about this:
Dont have any additional degrees but have a publication and some international and national presentations. Still want to apply to Oxford for AFP as second choice in case miracles happen. But still very interested in first choice AFP (Y&H), which is more realistic.

Fair plan or absolutely wasting my second AUoA choice? Any advice would be amazing :h:

I think Oxford heavily base who to interview on the white space questions so it's probably worth a shot applying if you're interested! Don't let the lack of additional degree put you off!
Reply 45
Original post by littlesparrow
Hey! Just wondering where did you find out about the ratings for northern? I would love nothing more than if there was a website which just had ratigs for all the foundatiosn trusts from F1s and F2s as well as the best hospitals within for teaching hahah

Hey! There is a website called messly. I think it is exactly what you are looking for.
Reply 46
Original post by BakedBeanz
Aww great idea to email! Do you mind letting us know if they reply? :smile: Yeah that's true! At least there's no chance of getting somewhere as isolated as the Isle of Man (North West)!

As I suspected, they don't have any info for the individual trusts and hospitals. However, they said that before they let you chose your preferences, they give out a list with applicant scores from this year so you know where you stand in relation to others.
Original post by Wolfy^
As I suspected, they don't have any info for the individual trusts and hospitals. However, they said that before they let you chose your preferences, they give out a list with applicant scores from this year so you know where you stand in relation to others.

Oh phew that's good :smile: Thanks for letting us know! So we'll be able to make an informed decision.

I guess really the best thing we can do for now is try to ace the SJT! But it's such a random exam and the questions I attempt I flop and ace with zero pattern to how I do :/ It's impossible to predict anything with SJT!
Original post by chemkid
I think Oxford heavily base who to interview on the white space questions so it's probably worth a shot applying if you're interested! Don't let the lack of additional degree put you off!

Alright, it's a Saturday and I'm just going to go for it lol Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by pizzalust
Alright, it's a Saturday and I'm just going to go for it lol Thanks for the advice :smile:

Good luck! :crossedf:
Oriel submitted. Now the long wait until March (plus some small things like finals).
I'm just not sure how to rank, is anyone applying to Scotland?
Submitted my FPAS application :eek3:
What's everyone focusing on lately?
For me it's a combination of SJT, Finals Prep - Reviewing notes, MCQ Practise, OSCE Practise, and placement classes and cases and logbooks
Original post by EternalDoom
What's everyone focusing on lately?
For me it's a combination of SJT, Finals Prep - Reviewing notes, MCQ Practise, OSCE Practise, and placement classes and cases and logbooks

At this point? Turning up to block.

SJT will wait until next month and I really need to get in the habit of doing questions daily but haven't quite got there yet.

(If you can't tell, I'm a last minute person. But SJT is more luck of the draw and common sense than massive amounts of prep IMO).
Original post by ForestCat

SJT will wait until next month and I really need to get in the habit of doing questions daily but haven't quite got there yet.

(If you can't tell, I'm a last minute person. But SJT is more luck of the draw and common sense than massive amounts of prep IMO).

Yeah I agree with you to an extent. I had a go at the practice paper in September, and now whenever I'm not doing Finals prep, I'm just reading through the answer scheme rationales and explanations carefully and writing short learning points based from each answer rationale. Even though you can't really revise for it, you can prepare for it. Reading the rationales makes you get into the right mindframe of how to approach various scenarios and the appropriate steps to escalating care in a given situation. I'm sticking to just doing the practice paper and reading GMP guidelines. Even though there is only one practice paper, it covers a broad range of common scenarios where the context will most likely be replicated to an extent in the real exam. I find that it is easy to decide what is the most appropriate and what is the least appropriate, but it is harder to get the choices in the middle in the right order, but I'm still scoring a good 16/20 or 18/20 for most of the 'Rank 5' style questions with occasional 14/20's.
(edited 6 years ago)

agree to this.
concentrating for the current block is way more important and prepping shouldnt be the main priority at this moment (depending when is your finals of course)
and SJT as what you said, can be quite variable.
Reply 57

Pretty much this. Focusing on rotations and making up notes as I go along. Doing some SJT questions here and there but I'll probably get more into it closer to the exam.
How's everyone getting on?
Does everyone know that there is a 2nd SJT Practice Paper on the UKFP website now?
Original post by EternalDoom
How's everyone getting on?
Does everyone know that there is a 2nd SJT Practice Paper on the UKFP website now?

Thanks so much!!! How did you find out?!

Latest

Trending

Trending