The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Has anyone else received a rota for less than the full duration of the first rotation? I received a rota from my trust but only until the end of October. Does anyone know if this is allowed/ had any similar experience?

I still haven’t received ANY rota 😰
If you haven't received any rota then contact them to chase and inform the guardian of safe working, but also tell them the dates you wont be available to work as you haven't received the rota.
Anyone going to Great Western Hospital?
I have a few questions re. F1 salary 🤗

1. I've been quoted my salary per annum for my first rotation. How does that translate to salary per month? Do you just divide by 12?

2. Are induction and shadowing paid? Mine starts on the 23rd July until black Wednesday. Not the end of the world if not, but that's nice if it is!

3. When is payday generally? And do you have to fill out any forms to not be taxed?
Original post by BakedBeanz
I have a few questions re. F1 salary 🤗

1. I've been quoted my salary per annum for my first rotation. How does that translate to salary per month? Do you just divide by 12?

This works, approximately!

2. Are induction and shadowing paid? Mine starts on the 23rd July until black Wednesday. Not the end of the world if not, but that's nice if it is!

It is here in Scotland!

3. When is payday generally? And do you have to fill out any forms to not be taxed?

Depends on the board - but I think it's generally always at the end of the month everywhere. I'd also like to know about the tax. :tongue:
Yes induction and shadowing should be paid.
Hospitals vary on when they pay but it's usually in the last 5 days of the month.
You will be earning enough that you should pay tax so no, no form to fill out.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
This works, approximately!

It is here in Scotland!

Depends on the board - but I think it's generally always at the end of the month everywhere. I'd also like to know about the tax. :tongue:

Original post by Smile88egc
Yes induction and shadowing should be paid.
Hospitals vary on when they pay but it's usually in the last 5 days of the month.
You will be earning enough that you should pay tax so no, no form to fill out.

Thank you so much for the info both :smile:

With the tax thing, I could've sworn I've heard people say your first few thousand (up to £10k ish) is untaxed but some people get mistakenly taxed in the first few months?

Edit: this post is where i saw it:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2375194#post43632168

Tax or no tax, it's definitely going to be a step up from student life anyway haha
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BakedBeanz
Thank you so much for the info both :smile:

With the tax thing, I could've sworn I've heard people say your first few thousand (up to £10k ish) is untaxed but some people get mistakenly taxed in the first few months?

Edit: this post is where i saw it:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2375194#post43632168

Tax or no tax, it's definitely going to be a step up from student life anyway haha

You will have a tax free allowance of approx 11800 which is spread out over the year. So it’s not that you pay no tax on the first 11k then start paying it as far as I know. You may pay less/no tax at the start as you have accumulated weeks since the tax year began where you have earned nothing so the tax free allowance for those weeks hasn’t been used. I’m open to correction on this as I spoke to revenue and they were not very clear but this is what I took from the conversation. I have been working in a part time job which I pay tax on so wanted to know how that will impact when I start as F1
Yes that's right you can expect to pay less tax in Aug-March 19 as you will have a whole years worth of personal allowance but will only be working and earning for 8 months of the year.

It's not that you pay no tax and then once you earn enough they tax you, they will just tax you less each month from the beginning most likely.
Yes that's right you can expect to pay less tax in Aug-March 19 as you will have a whole years worth of personal allowance but will only be working and earning for 8 months of the year.

It's not that you pay no tax and then once you earn enough they tax you, they will just tax you less each month from the beginning most likely.

Sort of correct. HMRC need a few months to catch up with new starters. Maybe 2-3 paycheques will be tax free.

Certainly into your second job they have it correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you haven't received any rota then contact them to chase and inform the guardian of safe working, but also tell them the dates you wont be available to work as you haven't received the rota.

Hi, just one more question. Who is the ‘guardian of safe working’ , like are they another doctor?, a rep of some kind ? or are they an admin person?

How would one go about contacting them/finding out who it is in my trust??

I still have no rota, due to start F1 in two weeks 😰 I’ve tried to chase it up with three different people and no one will give me a straight answer, I just keep getting passed from one person to the next or get told it will be out ‘soon’

Thanks for all your help
Thank you, much appreciated 👍
Finally someone in HR got back to me,I still don’t have a rota though 🙄

What apps do people use for their rotas? Any in particular that are good? (For when I eventually get mine)

Actually, what apps in general are useful to have for F1? I’ve already got some from finals, BNF, microguide and iResus but just wondering if there’s any other useful ones I should download.
So when does everyone start induction? I start on Monday, hard to believe there is only a couple of days of freedom left.
Is Southampton medical school chaotic. Apparently it has the highest rates for failing exams (especially in final year).
Original post by ForestCat
So when does everyone start induction? I start on Monday, hard to believe there is only a couple of days of freedom left.

Thursday for me!

Monday as well. Stuck in a limbo between "I should go over notes and things again to make sure I'm not completely incompetent" and "These are the last few days of holiday that I will ever get that I didn't have to apply for beforehand".

Safe to say I haven't gone over much. :colondollar:
Monday as well. Stuck in a limbo between "I should go over notes and things again to make sure I'm not completely incompetent" and "These are the last few days of holiday that I will ever get that I didn't have to apply for beforehand".

That was me. Bloody anon.

I start on Tuesday!

I've managed to hit a nice middleground by doing 1-2 hours a day, and spending the rest of my life in complete and utter hedonism. :tongue:
Original post by Wolfy^
That was me. Bloody anon.

I got passmedicine again and have done a handful. Reassuringly can still manage a decent success rate, but not sure my general recall of conditions is good enough. WIll probably do more next week as I start on twilights and nights and should have some knowledge to back me up.
I got passmedicine again and have done a handful. Reassuringly can still manage a decent success rate, but not sure my general recall of conditions is good enough. WIll probably do more next week as I start on twilights and nights and should have some knowledge to back me up.

I think the knowledge you need for finals is a bit more than what you actually NEED to be a safe F1. You're not expected to know everything off the top of you're head when you're just starting out - so I'm focusing on the common day-to-day stuff I expect to come up on the ward, and the emergencies I'd wanna be able to handle.

Latest

Trending

Trending