The Student Room Group

Degrees with good graduate prospects?

This isn't a thread where I'm asking what the best degrees are, I'm just curious and think it could start a good discussion. So what degrees would you say have the best job prospects? And what would you say is the worst?
Original post by Fonzworth
This isn't a thread where I'm asking what the best degrees are, I'm just curious and think it could start a good discussion. So what degrees would you say have the best job prospects? And what would you say is the worst?

Degrees with placement years help. The experience gives you lots of interview material.

That, combined with a subject that gives you technical abilities that may or may not be relevant to the job.

But most importantly, coming across as a sharp, well rounded applicant in interviews with a genuine interest in and understanding of the job is pretty key.

Ones with placements/years in industry help. However overall its the student who makes their own graduate prospects by getting work experience, writing a good cover letter or doing well in the initial tests, doing well at interview/assessment centre not the degree subject itself.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Degrees with placement years help. The experience gives you lots of interview material.

That, combined with a subject that gives you technical abilities that may or may not be relevant to the job.

But most importantly, coming across as a sharp, well rounded applicant in interviews with a genuine interest in and understanding of the job is pretty key.

Original post by jelly1000
Ones with placements/years in industry help. However overall its the student who makes their own graduate prospects by getting work experience, writing a good cover letter or doing well in the initial tests, doing well at interview/assessment centre not the degree subject itself.

Do "a year abroad" (study) degrees help?
A maths degree is where the money is at.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Do "a year abroad" (study) degrees help?

If you are going abroad to study then no it wouldn't necessarily add to graduate prospects. That said almost everyone I know whose done one has loved them.
Reply 6

I don't undestand how degrees with placement years work

does the uni actually give you a placement to take or do you have to go apply, do tests, interview and do assessment centers yourself?

because if that's the case, there's basically no benefit to doing a degree with a placement year.
Original post by Yaboi
I don't undestand how degrees with placement years work

does the uni actually give you a placement to take or do you have to go apply, do tests, interview and do assessment centers yourself?

because if that's the case, there's basically no benefit to doing a degree with a placement year.

Yes, you have to apply for stuff yourself, but there are a few benefits to this:

1. The entry standards are slightly lower than a graduate role, this is taken into consideration when applying for the role and a few mistakes (i helped out during the interview process where I did my placement and found this out :tongue:)

2. The uni supports you in a number of ways during your second year - sessions on applying, interviews etc as well as offering free practice of these hints, reviewing applications etc.

3. Gives you insight into the field that you want to work in - it might not be for you! You're also surrounded by professionals that you can learn a number of things from, like employability, technical knowledge, presentation skills etc and again it's acceptable for you to be seen as someone who is learning and picking up all of these things.

4. Supposedly helps with your grade in your final year, though I kind of debate that people who are able to find placements are the kind of people who would have done well anyway.
Reply 8
Yes, you have to apply for stuff yourself, but there are a few benefits to this:

1. The entry standards are slightly lower than a graduate role, this is taken into consideration when applying for the role and a few mistakes (i helped out during the interview process where I did my placement and found this out :tongue:)

2. The uni supports you in a number of ways during your second year - sessions on applying, interviews etc as well as offering free practice of these hints, reviewing applications etc.

3. Gives you insight into the field that you want to work in - it might not be for you! You're also surrounded by professionals that you can learn a number of things from, like employability, technical knowledge, presentation skills etc and again it's acceptable for you to be seen as someone who is learning and picking up all of these things.

4. Supposedly helps with your grade in your final year, though I kind of debate that people who are able to find placements are the kind of people who would have done well anyway.

i agree with all that, my point was just that doing a course with a placement year really has no benefit in comparison to a normal 3 year degree where you take a gap year to do a placement.
Original post by Yaboi
i agree with all that, my point was just that doing a course with a placement year really has no benefit in comparison to a normal 3 year degree where you take a gap year to do a placement.

I guess the uni do not formally support you if you are not officially a placement student but not sure - I definitely feel that the tuition fees for the year are not justified.
Reply 10
I guess the uni do not formally support you if you are not officially a placement student but not sure - I definitely feel that the tuition fees for the year are not justified.

Wasn't aware they charge you tbh.

NONE! Got a First Class Computing Related Degree. Doesn't mean $hit!

Unemployed, worked in two of the largest companies in the UK - yet no man wants to hire me
Reply 12
Original post by th1slife
NONE! Got a First Class Computing Related Degree. Doesn't mean $hit!

Unemployed, worked in two of the largest companies in the UK - yet no man wants to hire me

I am surprised by that, my son graduated from St Andrews three years ago with a 2;1 in Computer Science then worked as a graduate software developer with a multinational. He completed just under three years with them and is now contracting in Germany (banking sector) at a very good hourly rate, friends of his, also Computer Science at St Andrews, are also pretty well paid 2-3 years post graduation; they all seemed to be snapped up quickly and are either in permanent positions or are contracting, both here and abroad.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest