Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Wondered if anyone could give me advice on my current situation. I studied a foundation year at uni in 2015/16 then went onto my first year of study. I passed and completed the first year but over the summer decided to transfer courses at the same uni. I decided to do this because the course I was on last year had a lot of field work and I was unable to complete this and go on trips due to my physical disability. When I applied for uni my disability wasn't as bad so I thought I could do the field work but as my disability got worse I was unable to. I felt very left out while everyone was away on trips, instead to get my marks uni gave me essays to do but it wasn't the same as doing the hands on work everyone else got to do. I felt this was unfair so I decided to transfer to a course more suited to me. However I'm going to have to start this course from year one so sfe are saying they won't pay tuition for 2017/18. I'm unsure whether to appeal. I have evidence for the appeal because I have a letter from a doctor, letter from finance department at uni, 2 letters from lecturers from last year and a letter from the programme leader on my new course. I'm worried about loosing the appeal as I cannot afford my tuition fees and if I lost I'd also be stuck as I'm in a contract for my accommodation and I cannot afford the £5000 per year for that either without help from student finance. Really unsure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clin96)
    Hello, Wondered if anyone could give me advice on my current situation. I studied a foundation year at uni in 2015/16 then went onto my first year of study. I passed and completed the first year but over the summer decided to transfer courses at the same uni. I decided to do this because the course I was on last year had a lot of field work and I was unable to complete this and go on trips due to my physical disability. When I applied for uni my disability wasn't as bad so I thought I could do the field work but as my disability got worse I was unable to. I felt very left out while everyone was away on trips, instead to get my marks uni gave me essays to do but it wasn't the same as doing the hands on work everyone else got to do. I felt this was unfair so I decided to transfer to a course more suited to me. However I'm going to have to start this course from year one so sfe are saying they won't pay tuition for 2017/18. I'm unsure whether to appeal. I have evidence for the appeal because I have a letter from a doctor, letter from finance department at uni, 2 letters from lecturers from last year and a letter from the programme leader on my new course. I'm worried about loosing the appeal as I cannot afford my tuition fees and if I lost I'd also be stuck as I'm in a contract for my accommodation and I cannot afford the £5000 per year for that either without help from student finance. Really unsure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Clin96,

You do not need make an appeal if you withdrew from your prevous course because of health reasons.

If you have had two years previous study and starting the new course from year one, in year one you will receive a maintenance loan only, unless you can provide evidence of extenuating circumstances, also known as their Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR)

If you could not complete any of your previous academic years due to CPR, once you apply send evidence on headed paper written by a professional person who was aware of the situation, explaining the reason, what happened, when it happened and how it affected your studies or reason withdrew.

Send the evidence with a cover letter and customer reference number, this will be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor. If accepted this would mean an additional year of support will be awarded and you would have full support for the length of your new course.

Currently the estimated timescale for this to be reviewed is 20 working days.

Thanks Rona

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: September 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.