doglover123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm starting a chemical engineering degree very soon but i haven't done a level physics (although i've done m1 in maths). Are there any topics in A Level physics that I should take a look at, as I don't want to be baffled when I start. Thanks in advance
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anything related to chemistry such as thermodynamics, ideal gases (pressure, volume, temperature), nuclear and atomic physics, energy mass equivalence (E=mc^2). Also learn the SI units and unit prefixes such as milli, micro, nano, kilo, etc..
doglover123
Rep:
?
(Original post by spidle)
Anything related to chemistry such as thermodynamics, ideal gases (pressure, volume, temperature), nuclear and atomic physics, energy mass equivalence (E=mc^2). Also learn the SI units and unit prefixes such as milli, micro, nano, kilo, etc..
Brilliant, ill find a textbook and have a look, thank you!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mechanics would be the main useful background, to build up to the fluid dynamics you'll do later in the course. Any content on thermodynamics and related topics would also be useful, but to my knwoedlge this isn't largely covered by the core syllabus (but is available in options for some boards, usually part of an option called "applied" or "engineering" physics). You will also have covered some thermodynamics in chemistry anyway.

While I'm not sure how much it's used in chemical engineering labs specifically, having some basic circuit/electronics knowledge is usually useful for engineers and physicists in general. Some aspects of materials content or wave physics may be tangentially useful for chemical engineering as well.
doglover123
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Mechanics would be the main useful background, to build up to the fluid dynamics you'll do later in the course. Any content on thermodynamics and related topics would also be useful, but to my knwoedlge this isn't largely covered by the core syllabus (but is available in options for some boards, usually part of an option called "applied" or "engineering" physics). You will also have covered some thermodynamics in chemistry anyway.

While I'm not sure how much it's used in chemical engineering labs specifically, having some basic circuit/electronics knowledge is usually useful for engineers and physicists in general. Some aspects of materials content or wave physics may be tangentially useful for chemical engineering as well.
Yeah, mechanics and thermodynamics shouldn't be too much of a problem, I'll brush over them before I start & get busy with other stuff - thank you!!
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by doglover123)
I'm starting a chemical engineering degree very soon but i haven't done a level physics (although i've done m1 in maths). Are there any topics in A Level physics that I should take a look at, as I don't want to be baffled when I start. Thanks in advance
Generally things like heat transfer, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics are useful areas from physics for engineering, but your course might cover those from the beginning, and I am not sure how much they feature on the physics syllabus either (I did Scottish highers and don't think that they were covered that much, except perhaps some thermodynamics e.g. Boyle's law). Overall you'll probably be fine though if you are prepared to work hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (113)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.51%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (398)
48.77%

Watched Threads