The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Applying to Warwick for Maths with A*AAA predicted grades - is it worth it?

I really want to apply to Warwick for MMaths next year, but my Maths teacher is refusing to predict me an A* even though she truly thinks I can get one... She has told my Further Maths teacher not to predict me an A* in Further Maths as well even though none of the teachers understand her reasoning... Either way, I'm only predicted an A* in French and As in all my other subjects. Is it even worth applying to Warwick or will they just reject me immediately?
Original post by Hanako13
I really want to apply to Warwick for MMaths next year, but my Maths teacher is refusing to predict me an A* even though she truly thinks I can get one... She has told my Further Maths teacher not to predict me an A* in Further Maths as well even though none of the teachers understand her reasoning... Either way, I'm only predicted an A* in French and As in all my other subjects. Is it even worth applying to Warwick or will they just reject me immediately?

Probably best to email admissions, but it's not looking promising.

What was your maths UMS? - if they were high, I'm sure uni's could see through the predictions.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
How did you do in as maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Ze Witcher
Probably best to email admissions, but it's not looking promising.

What was your maths UMS? - if they were high, I'm sure uni's could see through the predictions.

Original post by black1blade
How did you do in as maths?

My total UMS was 281 for Maths and 257 for Further Maths :s-smilie:
My total UMS was 281 for Maths and 257 for Further Maths :s-smilie:

You should definitely get the A* prediction in maths but not having it in fm would be fair enough.
Reply 5
Original post by black1blade
You should definitely get the A* prediction in maths but not having it in fm would be fair enough.

Yeah, I understand not being predicted an A* in Further Maths, but having the A prediction in Maths is really frustrating :frown: But do you think my UMS scores would give me a chance if I applied?
Reply 6

You are very like to get an offer (they have a 95% offer rate!). Your challenge will be in meeting it. Warwick are extremely unforgiving of even the smallest miss in their offer requirements,

Standard Offer for 2018 Admission: A-Level Students

A* (Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (third A-level), and grade 1 in STEP, or

A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A* (third A-level), or

A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), AA (third A-level and fourth A-level)

Students who sit MAT or TMUA may receive the following reduced offer:

A* (Maths A-level), A* (Further Maths A-level), A (third A-level).

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
You are very like to get an offer (they have a 95% offer rate!). Your challenge will be in meeting it. Warwick are extremely unforgiving of even the smallest miss in their offer requirements,

Standard Offer for 2018 Admission: A-Level Students

A* (Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (third A-level), and grade 1 in STEP, or

A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A* (third A-level), or

A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), AA (third A-level and fourth A-level)

Students who sit MAT or TMUA may receive the following reduced offer:

A* (Maths A-level), A* (Further Maths A-level), A (third A-level).

For students sitting the MAT, what score will they considering good enough to give a reduced offer? I know that the average marks fluctuate every year so they can't say a specific score like 50 marks or above. But, for example, the average MAT score last year was 50.3, and 66.7 amongst those shortlisted for an Oxford interview. My question is will they make the reduced A*A*A offer to those who have got roughly above the average score (i.e. 50.3) or closer to the 'shortlisted for interview' score (which Imperial seem to do)?
Reply 8
Original post by osamabinfishing
For students sitting the MAT, what score will they considering good enough to give a reduced offer? I know that the average marks fluctuate every year so they can't say a specific score like 50 marks or above. But, for example, the average MAT score last year was 50.3, and 66.7 amongst those shortlisted for an Oxford interview. My question is will they make the reduced A*A*A offer to those who have got roughly above the average score (i.e. 50.3) or closer to the 'shortlisted for interview' score (which Imperial seem to do)?

You'd need to ask Warwick :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by osamabinfishing
For students sitting the MAT, what score will they consider good enough to give a reduced offer? I know that the average marks fluctuate every year so they can't say a specific score like 50 marks or above. But, for example, the average MAT score last year was 50.3, and 66.7 amongst those shortlisted for an Oxford interview. My question is will they make the reduced A*A*A offer to those who have got roughly above the average score (i.e. 50.3) or closer to the 'shortlisted for interview' score (which Imperial seem to do)?

From the Warwick website:

The MAT does not have a grading system and the average mark fluctuates from year to year. This prevents us from specifying before-hand what we expect in terms of performance in the MAT. If you are worried about that please consider sitting the TMUA instead. Students doing well in the MAT are likely to receive our reduced offer (A* Maths, A* Further Maths, A). Students doing less well are likely to receive our standard offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending