The Student Room Group

LSE Economics and Economic History 2018 entry

Hi i just wanted to know if i have a good chance of getting an offer for Economics and Economic History at LSE?

GCSE: 6A*s 4 A's
AS: AAAB (Maths, Economics, French, Chemistry)
A2 Predicted: A*AA (Economics, Maths, French)

One of the requirements is also to have at least one essay-based subject and considers econ and languages to be essay-based but I assume most applicants will have History. Will this hinder my chances?

In terms of personal statement, I am applying for different joint economics courses at other universities. I know LSE want applicants to be explicit but this is quite hard considering it and Edinburgh only offer this course. I have mentioned a few details about Economic history such as the financial crash and the state of income inequality in the 20th century.....but still.
Anyone else applying for this course 2018 entry? Need some advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hunnidonmywrist
Hi i just wanted to know if i have a good chance of getting an offer for Economics and Economic History at LSE?

One of the requirements is also to have at least one essay-based subject and considers econ and languages to be essay-based but I assume most applicants will have History. Will this hinder my chances?

In terms of personal statement, I am applying for different joint economics courses at other universities. I know LSE want applicants to be explicit but this is quite hard considering it and Edinburgh only offer this course. I have mentioned a few details about Economic history such as the financial crash and the state of income inequality in the 20th century.....but still.

Hi, I am also applying to econ & econ history

GCSE: 5A* 6A
AS-Level: AAA (maths, economics, politics)
A-Level Predictions: A*A*A*

I reckon you have a very good chance of getting an offer. Great GCSEs, Great AS grades, and predictions above the minimum requirement. How comes your only predicted A*AA from those good AS results?
My school are very harsh with predictions, they set boundaries for the A* prediction, but im going to tey get them up as i was quite close to the boundary
My school are very harsh with predictions, they set boundaries for the A* prediction, but im going to tey get them up as i was quite close to the boundary

it probably wont matter anyway because the grade requirement is AAB , and your predictions are going to be better than most applicants tbh.

Where else u applying ? & what course?
Cheers! You have a solid chance as well especially as your predictions r banging.
Other choices are Warwick for econ and industrial organization and notts, bristol, exeter but i may switch exeter for ucl if my pred for maths goes up, wbu?

Hey, with grades like that it's worth a shot trying History and Economics at Oxford.
Lol thanks but nahhh, i feel oxbridge isnt really for me, too much stress
Cheers! You have a solid chance as well especially as your predictions r banging.
Other choices are Warwick for econ and industrial organization and notts, bristol, exeter but i may switch exeter for ucl if my pred for maths goes up, wbu?

Ahh, im applying for econ at Warwick, UCL, nottingham & manchester

may i ask why u chose to do a french a-level?
Lol thanks but nahhh, i feel oxbridge isnt really for me, too much stress

i prob wouldnt get an offer anyway but thats exactly how i feel.
cos we r both applying for straight econ at other unis, how r u going about ur personal statement? Because lse do want applicants to be explicit about the course
cos we r both applying for straight econ at other unis, how r u going about ur personal statement? Because lse do want applicants to be explicit about the course

i have talked most about economics but for every sentence where I talked about my interest in economics, I have also tried to say a corresponding sentence about economic history. It is pretty impossible to talk 50/50 when your applying to pure econ at other universities tbh. Hope that helps! When do u plan on sending off your application?
Yeah thats kinda same w me. So i explored income imequality then talked about its effects in the past, and also like 4-5 lines on the history of GDP, is that calm?
Yeah thats kinda same w me. So i explored income imequality then talked about its effects in the past, and also like 4-5 lines on the history of GDP, is that calm?

Yh i thinks that calm bro. When u gonna send your application? & wat career u thinking of after?
I have 3A*s and 5 As at GCSE and ABB in AS in Econ math and history. If Im predicted AAB what chances do i have?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Qwerty12111
I have 3A*s and 5 As at GCSE and ABB in AS in Econ math and history. If Im predicted AAB what chances do i have?

Hey,

You’ve chosen the exact combination lse pretty much want, your predictions meet the requirement and your gcses and as grades are very good - enough for lse. Are u applying to the joint honours, econ and econ history?
Original post by Hello1236969
Hey,

You’ve chosen the exact combination lse pretty much want, your predictions meet the requirement and your gcses and as grades are very good - enough for lse. Are u applying to the joint honours, econ and econ history?

Yeah im applying for economics and economic history. The programme requires A in math too while I have a B in AS math. Is it possible to give it accelerated? because that way in I am sure I can get an A
Yeah im applying for economics and economic history. The programme requires A in math too while I have a B in AS math. Is it possible to give it accelerated? because that way in I am sure I can get an A

Wdym accelerated? Bear in mind u naturally work alot harder in your A2 yr and so your probably get an A
Wdym accelerated? Bear in mind u naturally work alot harder in your A2 yr and so your probably get an A

Accelerated as in give the AS and A2 exams in one year. I might be able to get AAB in Econ history and Math tho but A is required for math. Not sure if they'll be okay with a B in math
Accelerated as in give the AS and A2 exams in one year. I might be able to get AAB in Econ history and Math tho but A is required for math. Not sure if they'll be okay with a B in math

Youve only got a B in AS maths, its quite easy to push that up to an A in maths if u work enough.
Need some advice. Thanks

Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Hey

Hey

Hi, I'm applying to Economics ...
Wanted to know if you could answer these questions:
a) Why Economics
b) Why LSE (or another uni)?
c) Who is the greatest economist of all time?

Also, if you could tell me a little bit about Economic History, that'd be great :smile:
Good luck with your applications xx

Also, to the OP ... I think you have a good chance as long as your predicted grades meet their criteria.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest