Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So since GCSEs I have been trying out numerous revision techniques to help me get that **** in Biology AS stuck in my head, no matter how stupid or legit they might have sounded to me I tried them all, eventually I found a revision technique which really is fairly simple, I simply write stuff directly from my revision guide I am trying to revise from and a lot of information does already get stuck in my head, I then write the content over and over again until I can get EVERYTHING right, however even tho it works is absolutely time consuming to just remember one page, I just like writing more than reading hence why I would like to carry on with this revision technique however I am worried that this revision technique will not be able to help me cover everything in time so as a result I would have wasted so much paper and ink for nothing, some suggested the scribble technique but it doesn't work for me at all since when I close the book and put my pen on the paper my brain goes blank(I am quite dumb so yeah). So should I carry on with my preferred revision technique despite being time consuming? Will this revision technique I am using help me cover all the content for an A in AS Biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    So since GCSEs I have been trying out numerous revision techniques to help me get that **** in Biology AS stuck in my head, no matter how stupid or legit they might have sounded to me I tried them all, eventually I found a revision technique which really is fairly simple, I simply write stuff directly from my revision guide I am trying to revise from and a lot of information does already get stuck in my head, I then write the content over and over again until I can get EVERYTHING right, however even tho it works is absolutely time consuming to just remember one page, I just like writing more than reading hence why I would like to carry on with this revision technique however I am worried that this revision technique will not be able to help me cover everything in time so as a result I would have wasted so much paper and ink for nothing, some suggested the scribble technique but it doesn't work for me at all since when I close the book and put my pen on the paper my brain goes blank(I am quite dumb so yeah). So should I carry on with my preferred revision technique despite being time consuming? Will this revision technique I am using help me cover all the content for an A in AS Biology?
    I personally use this exact technique, it got me straight As at N5 (gsce level) and it is still getting me good grades even at higher. Rather than just copying word for word in the revision guides however, I read it over first (slightly boring at times) then write a summary for the entire page, putting down key points. then, once I've finished the entire topic I go back and pick out the things I'm still not sure about and re write them and try my best to understand them. Once ive done that I do past papers (all I can) for each subject and see how well im doing and what I need to revise. Yea, its slightly time consuming but its well worth it in the end tbh, the day or 2 after you forget about the boring time you spent but still remember all the info, so its like a win win :P doesnt even feel like you're revising.

Edit: and yes, it will, I'm crashing higher biology this year and learnt the enter N5 course in around 2 weeks with this method, it will/should 100% work, provided you put the time in to do it.

ReputationRep:
    past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jang Gwangnam)
    past papers?
    I need to know the content first before I can start them otherwise I will have no idea what the **** they are talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    I personally use this exact technique, it got me straight As at N5 (gsce level) and it is still getting me good grades even at higher. Rather than just copying word for word in the revision guides however, I read it over first (slightly boring at times) then write a summary for the entire page, putting down key points. then, once I've finished the entire topic I go back and pick out the things I'm still not sure about and re write them and try my best to understand them. Once ive done that I do past papers (all I can) for each subject and see how well im doing and what I need to revise. Yea, its slightly time consuming but its well worth it in the end tbh, the day or 2 after you forget about the boring time you spent but still remember all the info, so its like a win win :P doesnt even feel like you're revising.

Edit: and yes, it will, I'm crashing higher biology this year and learnt the enter N5 course in around 2 weeks with this method, it will/should 100% work, provided you put the time in to do it.
    Of course, I do read the page first and try to UNDERSTAND it before I can start writing, it's often easier to memorize the content when you can understand it rather than repeating it like a parrot. I need to write on average 4 pages just to get the full grasp of one page.

ReputationRep:
    trust me it gets worse at uni, I have an 887 page textbook for one module (i take 5 modules throughout the year)
    when i did higher/nat5 i just did what you're doing tho, if it is working despite being time consuming - maybe it's worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Of course, I do read the page first and try to UNDERSTAND it before I can start writing, it's often easier to memorize the content when you can understand it rather than repeating it like a parrot. I need to write on average 4 pages just to get the full grasp of one page.
    I mean, once you understand things then they're usually fine for a while. if you need 4 pages of a book to summarize a single page in another book then you probably dont understand it as much as you think. Max pages per page is around 1/2 a page, but I guess it depends on how big your handwriting, how small the page your copying onto is etc.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, once you understand things then they're usually fine for a while. if you need 4 pages of a book to summarize a single page in another book then you probably dont understand it as much as you think. Max pages per page is around 1/2 a page, but I guess it depends on how big your handwriting, how small the page your copying onto is etc.
    I mean I get most of the things right in one or two pages but I am trying to get EVERYTHING like every single word right because after GCSEs I realized the examiners were bare harsh on you so I decided to be harsh on myself.

ReputationRep:
    if you need 4 pages of a book to summarize a single page in another book then you probably dont understand it as much as you think..
    this. when summarising notes you write the key points with trigger words that will help you branch off into different aspects of what you remember,
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that hopefully you'll get the replies you're after.

My best advice would be to have a look around our study help section to find the information or thoughts you may be looking for too. Revision styles are personal and it is therefore difficult to find your right one. Past papers worked for me. Perfection through repetition.

ReputationRep:
    Keep doing the "scribble technique" do this until your second year and YES you will be able to remember/cover everything in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reversed Flash)
    Keep doing the "scribble technique" do this until your second year and YES you will be able to remember/cover everything in time.
    Isn't the scribble technique where you read a page, then write down everything you can remember from that page without looking at the book, then open the book once you have finished and write down that page again without looking at the book and keep on repeating the process until you get everything right?

ReputationRep:
    Edited content

ReputationRep:
    Yes and No you actually create a full set of notes from doing this.

1) Read the book/textbook min half a page or a page
    2) Get a plain piece of paper write the title down
    3) Identify some trigger words which goes into a sentence for me in physics all I had to say is irradiated and I could come up with a paragraph about it / I still can .
    4) Write everything down and whatever your brain uses to trigger the paragraph write it down on a margin or the top of the page.
    5) Rinse and repeat this technique once for each page. First time time the hardest. Second time will be a little hard. Third time would probably come naturally to you. Remember let that info sink into your brain. Once you completed a page move on don't come back to it until you finished the chapter.
    6) It helps me by actually just randomly talking about the subject by myself.

Good luck! It is a new technique which has got me many successes!
    I kind of get what you mean mate, I am struggling to understand the trigger words part in 3 and 4. If I understand correctly, you just need to identify a word from the paragraph which will trigger your brain into giving you the whole paragraph, write those words down on the margin and just look at those words in the hope that your brain can trigger the whole paragraph containing those words?

ReputationRep:
    ________________________________ ___

ReputationRep:
    They Feynman technique
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    *Post got deleted*
    I just tried out this revision technique and I have to say it's way better than my current revision technique which is write and write and makes my hand really tired, tho unfortunately it couldn't work for the whole paragraph, I just did it for sentence by sentence.
    And why delete the post? It's very helpful advice!

ReputationRep:
    e
    I just tried out this revision technique and I have to say it's way better than my current revision technique which is write and write and makes my hand really tired, tho unfortunately it couldn't work for the whole paragraph(For example I tried to write down a whole paragraph about chloroplasts by trying to say the word chloroplast but blank my brain is confused), it did however work for sentences, I can remember a word from the sentence and the whole sentence comes to mind, did this for all the sentences in my paragraph and managed to remember it by the third time!
    I am still getting used to this revision technique, I will use it for a whole week and report back to you of how it is working so far
    Yes please, any exams you do please report this back to me - I am currently using this method for GCSE's .

for the remembering the word I just think its natural it must come from you. I did this technique at least 3 days ago and can write 50-60% of the main facts of my physics textbook. And surprisingly that topic came up in a lesson - I could answer nearly all the questions that the teacher could give us. It was not only a tremendous feeling but also satisfying.

Going to try to use this technique for a history essay and physics topic test - I will report back with the outcome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.