Delilahkay12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im doing Psychology, Sociology and Graphics. Will universities consider my choices as 'soft' or not respected?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Delilahkay12)
Im doing Psychology, Sociology and Graphics. Will universities consider my choices as 'soft' or not respected?
there are universities that say psychology and science subjects are preferred and sociology might be considered one at some universities, so you should have a good few places that you can apply to
username3239272
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
psychology is soft itself
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology involves statistics, mathematical equation, large psychological studies, handling huge amounts of data and you study the brain, so it's hardly "soft" and is technically a scientific subject. Sociology is soft and I believe the Psychology of "arts" (not science), is a soft subject as it's more philosophical.

(Original post by chanel_666)
psychology is soft itself
username3239272
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hannxm)
Psychology involves statistics, mathematical equation, large scientific studies, handling huge amounts of data and you study the brain, so it's hardly "soft" and is a scientific subject. Sociology is soft and I believe the Psychology of "arts" (not science), is a soft subject.
LOL it involves simple equations u plug numbers into & simple fractions and percentages, that's not comparable to A level maths now is it, I could say Art isnt soft and involves maths cos u have to draw grids and shapes and making sure everything is proportional !!! Psychology is not a hard science what are u on about
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More than okay subjects
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was talking about a bachelor of "science" degree in Psychology. There is a bachelor of "arts" degree in Psychology which I believe is simpler as it's more philosophical. I'm not comparing it to Maths as they're different subjects and I would accept that a Maths or Science degree would be more difficult, but things like an Art or Sociology degree are softer subjects in my opinion.

Drawing grids and shapes is hardly mathematical! :lol: You can do art without grids as well; I've done art commissions and have never used a grid! I can't believe that's your defence.:lol: I personally would find drawing grids and shapes a lot easier than doing "simple" equations and handling large quantities of data, but okay. I don't believe an art degree is easy either, as it still involves a lot of essays, breaking down an art piece and art history.

It sounds like you're an art student who's always on the defensive about your subject. :lol: Read some other's views on the subject.

LOL it involves simple equations u plug numbers into & simple fractions and percentages, that's not comparable to A level maths now is it, I could say Art isnt soft and involves maths cos u have to draw grids and shapes and making sure everything is proportional !!! Psychology is not a hard science what are u on about
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let's keep this on topic to the OP please If you want to have a discussion surrounding whether psychology is a science or not; that is a place for another thread, not this one.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology degrees are respected and not considered soft by most people.

lmaooome
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
am waiting for it's contents to trigger me.
lmaooome
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was talking about a bachelor of "science" degree in Psychology. There is a bachelor of "arts" degree in Psychology which I believe is simpler as it's more philosophical. I'm not comparing it to Maths as they're different subjects and I would accept that a Maths or Science degree would be more difficult, but things like an Art or Sociology degree are softer subjects in my opinion.

Drawing grids and shapes is hardly mathematical! :lol: You can do art without grids as well; I've done art commissions and have never used a grid! I can't believe that's your defence.:lol: I personally would find drawing grids and shapes a lot easier than doing "simple" equations and handling large quantities of data, but okay. I don't believe an art degree is easy either, as it still involves a lot of essays, breaking down an art piece and art history.

It sounds like you're an art student who's always on the defensive about your subject. :lol: Read some other's views on the subject.
i get y they say there is a "civil war in psychology" lol fanks guys
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've never heard of that term!

(Original post by lmaooome)
i get y they say there is a "civil war in psychology" lol fanks guys
lmaooome
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've never heard of that term!
lmao i'm studying the origins of psychology and that's what they referred to Psychology as due to the constant debate on whether it's a natural science or a social science because of it's subjective nature.
username3239272
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I don't do art LOL it's a soft subject just like psychology
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It technically is a mix. Of course, you can do social science which is totally social and my first module in Psychology is a social science based one. But you do learn about the brain and effects of hormones. In the mental health side of things, I believe you learn about the imbalances in the brain that can cause mental health problems and what happens to the brain in conditions like dementia/alzeihmers, so it's sort of a natural science in that sense.

(Original post by lmaooome)
lmao i'm studying the origins of psychology and that's what they referred to Psychology as due to the constant debate on whether it's a natural science or a social science because of it's subjective nature.
Its_mia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends what Uni you're aiming for. But for the most it seems like good choices

Goodluck! My Boyfriend did a Psychology degree and loved it! Hopefully you enjoy reading
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate