04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by seanbruce)
will the decision in london for uber follow in other cities
Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Not automatically because they are separate licensing authorities. Uber have been kicked out and then reapplied from some places.
seanbruce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not automatically because they are separate licensing authorities. Uber have been kicked out and then reapplied from some places.
ohhh i see thanks for clearing this up for me
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not necessarily but, for example, Cambridge City Council are taking TfL's decision into account at the moment. Uber is up for renewal there in December.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...cence-13662300

Manchester isn't up for review until 2021.

Other cities are pending...
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/u...-a3641666.html
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Not necessarily but, for example, Cambridge City Council are taking TfL's decision into account at the moment. Uber is up for renewal there in December.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news...cence-13662300

Manchester isn't up for review until 2021.

Other cities are pending...
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/u...-a3641666.html
The key difference with Cambridge is that the number of "plates" is regulated. Uber has 50 drivers in Cambridge. London is 70 times bigger than Cambridge. If Uber had as many drivers for London as it has for Cambridge it would have 3500 drivers. Uber actually has 10 times that number of vehicles.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
The key difference with Cambridge is that the number of "plates" is regulated. Uber has 50 drivers in Cambridge. London is 70 times bigger than Cambridge. If Uber had as many drivers for London as it has for Cambridge it would have 3500 drivers. Uber actually has 10 times that number of vehicles.
Bizarrely we always seem to get the same guy in an A6...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stunted Elf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.
As I understand it, each city is responsible for issuing its own taxi licenses. However the city of London's descision will quite possibly be seen as a precedent.

Having said that does Uber operate in any other cities ? I've never seen one around here and hadn't even heard of it until the other day on the news.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Stunted Elf)
As I understand it, each city is responsible for issuing its own taxi licenses. However the city of London's descision will quite possibly be seen as a precedent.

Having said that does Uber operate in any other cities ? I've never seen one around here and hadn't even heard of it until the other day on the news.
They operate in about 20 places in the UK. However, the history of minicabs in London is very different from the rest of the UK.

Most councils in the UK licensed minicabs from 1976 when about half of households had landline phones. It is only really in the 1970s that separate minicab businesses set up because the demand for taxi services exceeded the number of hackney carriage plates made available by many councils. In many rural areas, you are still quite likely to get a saloon car hackney carriage rather than a private hire vehicle if you call a cab. So in most of England, minicab regulation grew up with the industry (and indeed the term minicab is rarely heard).

Not so in London. The black cabbies fought against regulated minicabs because they wanted to them to be unsafe. It wasn't until 1998 that the first minicabs were regulated. Therefore taking a minicab in London was seen for about 30 years as like prostitution; an unsafe activity associated with crime.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Stunted Elf)

Since I'm not the person raising the question, I have no idea. I'm also not from London.

I suggest quoting seanbruce
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads