The Student Room Group

Should I go to uni in 7 days? Reapply for 2018? Access to HE? Foundation year?

--
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AdamB213
Hi all.

I'm set to study a Business related course at Lancaster University in 7 days. I'm 21 and have previously studied another subject at another university for 1 year. As a result, I only have 3 years worth of funding from SFE left. I currently hold ABB A-Levels from 2014. The exams I took are now out of spec and therefore I assume I cannot improve my existing grades, but only add to them by taking additional A-Levels.

*** Question: how would it work if I entered for the same subject under the new spec - would it replace my current A Level in the subject or stand independently alongside it? Can I improve my current A Levels or am I correct in thinking that's not possible?

I haven't visited Lancaster University and would be going there blind. I have no real love for the location or the institution itself. I'm also not sure I even want to study the subject I'm signed up to. Part of my concern lies with the academic ability and focus of my student counterparts, with unistats and similar sites suggesting a disproportionately high level of students achieving 2:2 on the course at Lancaster, which wouldn't concern me so much if it wasn't for the fact 1/3 of work will be completed in groups.

On the other hand, I've achieved very little in both years I've spent out of education, and whilst I desperately wouldn't want that to be the case if I spent another year out, the past suggests it will.

I've looked into Access to HE courses, but I'm sure they're really aimed at me, as it seems the institutions that accept them are more or less level with what my current grades could obtain. I've noticed upper tier universities such as Durham offer foundation courses, but since I've already used a year of SFE money, year 0 funding would come out of my own pocket. I'm also once again not sure they're aimed at me.

Not quite sure where to go from here. I'm getting a lot of pressure from friends and family to go regardless of my current reservations. Whilst I might regret not going, should I go and find myself disappointed, I'll be left in a very tricky situation.

Any thoughts?

If you aren't sure about the subject then you need to at least defer for now rather than using funding, and figure out what subject you do want to do.
Redoing the a levels would give you two separate grades as they were already cashed in.
Reply 2
Defer.
Would you recommend entering for a few new A Levels to improve my standing?

University might not consider 2 sittings of a levels so it might not help, you need to contact universities to see if they would accept that before doing it.
Is a foundation year worth considering?

You ve used a years funding so that could cost you another year or 9k
That isn't necessarily a problem. The money would be made available if it was worth it.

If you ve got that kind of cash spare then it could be worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending