Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm considering doing a degree in Geology/Earth Sciences (and maybe Geophysics but that would require a foundation year) as I enjoy the various aspects of it such as volcanology, seismology, environmental geology, hydrogeology, oil & gas exploration and maybe something nuclear related as I really enjoy that side of Physics.

Anyways, I heard that there was a shortage of Geologists, but apparently, it's hard to find a job. Would it also be wise to do this when there may be a huge decrease of fossil fuels in the next few years?

If I can't work for an oil and gas company then is there anything else I could do like mining, volcanoes, the energy industry and weather-related like dealing/predicting with hurricanes, storms etc?
Aranos
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you considered meteorology? Someone from my school went to do meteorology and he studied maths, physics and geography at A-level.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fonzworth)
I'm considering doing a degree in Geology/Earth Sciences (and maybe Geophysics but that would require a foundation year) as I enjoy the various aspects of it such as volcanology, seismology, environmental geology, hydrogeology, oil & gas exploration and maybe something nuclear related as I really enjoy that side of Physics.

Anyways, I heard that there was a shortage of Geologists, but apparently, it's hard to find a job. Would it also be wise to do this when there may be a huge decrease of fossil fuels in the next few years?

If I can't work for an oil and gas company then is there anything else I could do like mining, volcanoes, the energy industry and weather-related like dealing/predicting with hurricanes, storms etc?
Yes, there are alternatives to O&G and most geology graduates aren't even going into these traditional sectors anymore anyway. Academia is one pathway and it's probably the main one you'll be looking at if you're interested in things like volcanology or seismology or meteorology (worth mentioning that you may have difficulty getting into meteorology with a geology degree, geophysics would be better, and geophysics would also be better for seismology). Environmental consultancy, engineering geology, hydrogeology etc. are all popular pathways. In terms of the energy industry, most of the growing sectors will be more interested in engineers than geologists but there are still careers there. I don't see how you could get into the nuclear industry with a geology degree unless it was indirect e.g. geotechnical engineering. There are jobs in mining but I honestly don't know much about that sector.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads