A level what should I be doing outside of class?

Watch
jordanq123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My teachers have said that the content taught in class alone won't be enough to get high grades and we need to be doing independent study (outside of set homework and revision) and was wondering how to go about? Should I be adding information from my textbook to my class notes (I've noticed there's way more in there) or do I have to do things outside of that like finding additional content online? Or any suggestions on what I should be doing. (Doing sociology politics and economics)

Ruthie2267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jordanq123)
My teachers have said that the content taught in class alone won't be enough to get high grades and we need to be doing independent study (outside of set homework and revision) and was wondering how to go about? Should I be adding information from my textbook to my class notes (I've noticed there's way more in there) or do I have to do things outside of that like finding additional content online? Or any suggestions on what I should be doing. (Doing sociology politics and economics)
Reading over your textbooks and writing notes from them is fab for both consolidating basic knowledge but also getting more yeah, esp as (like you've noticed) they generally have way more than teachers will go through. Be wary about learning everything in it though - of your subjects are really heavy in content, you need to be rly picky with the stuff you use. Because all the specs are so new, textbooks (or at least this was the case with mine!) tend to add in loads of (often unnecessary) info to make sure they've covered everything

Your textbooks will probably have lists of further resources you can look at too, so defo check them out if you have time.

Also - textbooks from other exam boards can be super helpful as well. Make sure you don't learn stuff from a topic you don't do ofc haha, but I found that other boards gave much more detail in topics that was lacking in mine (srry edexcel history)

Apart from that - the internet is your best friend! Googling for notes on your subjects is a good bet bc you can find accessible resources made by other students and teachers that can have details u don't know about in.

Finally id suggest looking at the Sociology/Politics (idk if there's an Econ one) Review magazines. They're magazines designed for a level students, so they focus on topics covered by the main exam boards and generally have further info and advice etc. Your school might be subscribed - if not, ask if you can be! The [subject] review websites also have decent further resources that might be of some use

EDIT: here are the links - they do have econ!
Sociology: https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Ma...-Review-extras
Politics:
https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Ma...-Review-extras
Economics:

I can't be any more helpful bc I didn't do any of your subjects, sorry but good luck with your studies!! You're not obviously keen to succeed, and that kind of attitude pays off
jordanq123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Ruthie2267)
Reading over your textbooks and writing notes from them is fab for both consolidating basic knowledge but also getting more yeah, esp as (like you've noticed) they generally have way more than teachers will go through. Be wary about learning everything in it though - of your subjects are really heavy in content, you need to be rly picky with the stuff you use. Because all the specs are so new, textbooks (or at least this was the case with mine!) tend to add in loads of (often unnecessary) info to make sure they've covered everything

Your textbooks will probably have lists of further resources you can look at too, so defo check them out if you have time.

Also - textbooks from other exam boards can be super helpful as well. Make sure you don't learn stuff from a topic you don't do ofc haha, but I found that other boards gave much more detail in topics that was lacking in mine (srry edexcel history)

Apart from that - the internet is your best friend! Googling for notes on your subjects is a good bet bc you can find accessible resources made by other students and teachers that can have details u don't know about in.

Finally id suggest looking at the Sociology/Politics (idk if there's an Econ one) Review magazines. They're magazines designed for a level students, so they focus on topics covered by the main exam boards and generally have further info and advice etc. Your school might be subscribed - if not, ask if you can be! The [subject] review websites also have decent further resources that might be of some use

EDIT: here are the links - they do have econ!
Sociology: https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Ma...-Review-extras
Politics:
Economics:

I can't be any more helpful bc I didn't do any of your subjects, sorry but good luck with your studies!! You're not obviously keen to succeed, and that kind of attitude pays off
Thank you so much!
djdubzzy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jordanq123)
For economics - try building up a bank of facts by reading the news every morning. It only takes 5 minutes a day (you could download an app and read it on the way to college). Really helps with examples and evaluation for essays. I guess you could do the same for politics as well...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads