Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Army advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’m 19, 20 next month and after attending my cousins passing out parade I’ve come to the realisation that I’d also like to join the Army. I was a cadet so I’ve always had an interest. I really regret not going to Harrogate for Junior Entry or even going to Welbeck as I wouldn’t have let my fitness slip. But, hindsight is 20/20 and if I knew then what I know now, I would have.

I’m currently very unfit, I left school at 16 to work full time and since then have managed to get myself to 19 bloody stone. Office jobs eh? I eat pretty well already, I’m going to focus on reducing portion sizes and eliminating fast food/take aways completely. I’ve just started using the 100% Army Fit app, it seems pretty good and I know it’s going to take a while but it’ll be the best thing for me in the long run.

I’d like to join the infantry (specifically 2 Mercian as I’m from Derbyshire) as an Officer rather than Other Ranks and I know that it’s much more difficult but I think I’d enjoy the challenge. The issue is I have no A-Levels and I don’t know how to go about getting some. I looked at doing a level 3 uniformed public services course that would give the required UCAS points but I can’t really stop working full time as I have bills to pay and every course seems to be full time, plus the course would take two years and I’d like to be considering joining by then as I’ve missed the academic start this year and I’ll be getting close to 24 when I’ve finished.

I’m also thinking of applying to be an Army Reserve soldier when I’ve got my fitness up to scratch to get some experience and find out 100% if it is for me.

I’m just looking for general advice regarding the above, I’d really appreciate anything anyone could tell me.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markey1000)
    I................
    Lose 3 stone - then you will be closer to being a weight that is taken seriously, then go to the AFCO and talk through your options. if you have to do more education, then you should be ideally placed for booking for autumn 18.

By that stage you should be fit enough to consider the Reserves as well, which you could do for the 2 years you are studying. You'd then be joining up the same time as graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Lose....

Cheers mate I really appreciate the response. I’ve got a goal I’ve set my sights on and now I’m going to smash it. That’s the plan anyway, I’d really love to do it.

ReputationRep:
    What was it about that one heavily rehearsed event that made you want to join up?

ReputationRep:
    I know it’s heavily rehearsed, if you read my post you’d have seen that it wasn’t the only reason. I’ve always been interested and it’s always been in the back of my mind as something I’d like to do. I don’t really know, it just sort of made me properly realise that I want to join up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markey1000)
    I’m 19, 20 next month and after attending my cousins passing out parade I’ve come to the realisation that I’d also like to join the Army. I was a cadet so I’ve always had an interest. I really regret not going to Harrogate for Junior Entry or even going to Welbeck as I wouldn’t have let my fitness slip. But, hindsight is 20/20 and if I knew then what I know now, I would have.

I’m currently very unfit, I left school at 16 to work full time and since then have managed to get myself to 19 bloody stone. Office jobs eh? I eat pretty well already, I’m going to focus on reducing portion sizes and eliminating fast food/take aways completely. I’ve just started using the 100% Army Fit app, it seems pretty good and I know it’s going to take a while but it’ll be the best thing for me in the long run.

I’d like to join the infantry (specifically 2 Mercian as I’m from Derbyshire) as an Officer rather than Other Ranks and I know that it’s much more difficult but I think I’d enjoy the challenge. The issue is I have no A-Levels and I don’t know how to go about getting some. I looked at doing a level 3 uniformed public services course that would give the required UCAS points but I can’t really stop working full time as I have bills to pay and every course seems to be full time, plus the course would take two years and I’d like to be considering joining by then as I’ve missed the academic start this year and I’ll be getting close to 24 when I’ve finished.

I’m also thinking of applying to be an Army Reserve soldier when I’ve got my fitness up to scratch to get some experience and find out 100% if it is for me.

I’m just looking for general advice regarding the above, I’d really appreciate anything anyone could tell me.
    I'm all for you joining, it will change you and your life. I'd probably be in there myself (well, more likely the RAF) if it wasn't for my circumstances. But infantry? Really?! I don't like that option for you, personally. Why not something that's close to infantry? Don't choose to be a pawn, it's not glamorous as the government portrays, people and possibly you will die. Pretty much for a politician's end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    I'm all for you joining, it will change you and your life. I'd probably be in there myself (well, more likely the RAF) if it wasn't for my circumstances. But infantry? Really?! I don't like that option for you, personally. Why not something that's close to infantry? Don't choose to be a pawn, it's not glamorous as the government portrays, people and possibly you will die. Pretty much for a politician's end.
    At least you have all your experience of being an infantryman to fall back on when giving careers advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFI)
    At least you have all your experience of being an infantryman to fall back on when giving careers advice.
    You're trained to kill, you're trained to be killed. What more to know? I'm preaching a normal job, not one of violence. I don't need experience for that. Do one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    You're trained to kill, you're trained to be killed. What more to know? I'm preaching a normal job, not one of violence. I don't need experience for that. Do one.
    Yet more wise words from a pure civilian in a military careers forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFI)
    Yet more wise words from a pure civilian in a military careers forum
    Doesn't matter. I haven't heared you ague and prove me wrong. Carry on endorsing a job that trains people to kill. My father was in the ****ing army LOL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.