The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bull ****.
Original post by Robby2312
Bull ****.

Pretty much what I thought.

I told him yes the knowledge required to obtain a licence is extensive however, if you were to compare it someone with an average degree then a degree is vastly superior.

Second of all , if becoming a black cab driver was so hard , why are there so many then earning so little?But ofc he was oblivious with the fact that I was right.
I mean... the uber drivers managed to get their job with minimal effort so you probably don't need a high level of knowledge as such. It's just that the black cab game is a bit nuts.

Compared to a degree i dunno if the black cab license is really the same, unless it also takes 3 or 4 years and your will to live.
Original post by SilverWater
Pretty much what I thought.

I told him yes the knowledge required to obtain a licence is extensive however, if you were to compare it someone with an average degree then a degree is vastly superior.

Second of all , if becoming a black cab driver was so hard , why are there so many then earning so little?But ofc he was oblivious with the fact that I was right.

On what basis does he come out with that fact? Whats his point?

Part of it is correct but it depends how its being evaluated.

In the event that it is so what?

Whats your point?
Original post by 999tigger

Part of it is correct but it depends how its being evaluated.

In the event that it is so what?

Whats your point?

chill out man :biggrin:
Original post by ultimateradman
chill out man :biggrin:

Its a discussion and im merely asking some questions on it. i.e discussing the OP.
Done a degree, but never done "the knowledge". So I have no way of knowing.

He read it somewhere and is firm belieiver in it (he was a minicab driver before so that may have influenced his response.)

IWhats your point?

My point is that his point is moot.
He read it somewhere and is firm belieiver in it (he was a minicab driver before so that may have influenced his response.)

My point is that his point is moot.

Depending on context, but why it it moot in your opinion?
If its moot then why did you bother starting a thread about it?
[video]https://youtu.be/u7gp8KBP7ak[/video]
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I mean... the uber drivers managed to get their job with minimal effort so you probably don't need a high level of knowledge as such. It's just that the black cab game is a bit nuts.

Compared to a degree i dunno if the black cab license is really the same, unless it also takes 3 or 4 years and your will to live.

The time apparently varies from 2-4 years depending on how quickly you want to learn.
Before the days of Sat Nav, you had to know the area inside out, so your dad is likely an older gentleman and in his day, he'd have been right. In this day and age, though, you don't need to be familiar with the area whatsoever, just be able to drive safely and follow directions.
Depending on context, but why it it moot in your opinion?
If its moot then why did you bother starting a thread about it?

Because I wanted to start a thread and discuss it with other people.

Want any further explanations?
To take in and remember that much knowledge(pardon the pun) can't be easy, but I'd have thought it's essentially redundant now with sat-navs.
Hey you seem really clever

"i'm the odd one out during the travel"

does this make sense?
Original post by LostGear
Hey you seem really clever

"i'm the odd one out during the travel"

does this make sense?

Thanks for the complement but I'm going to ask you to cut the to the chase instead. Your point is?
The time apparently varies from 2-4 years depending on how quickly you want to learn.

Well then technically I guess that would put it at degree sort of level, depending on the degree. Although their 2-4 years might not be as intense I guess?
Original post by WoodyMKC
Before the days of Sat Nav, you had to know the area inside out, so your dad is likely an older gentleman and in his day, he'd have been right. In this day and age, though, you don't need to be familiar with the area whatsoever, just be able to drive safely and follow directions.

He is in his early fifties so yeah that may be a factor too
In terms of the amount of time and effort required, I've no doubt "the knowledge" rivals some degree courses. Whether or not it's still useful in the days where anyone can use their phone as a sat nav, is another issue.

I think cabbies with "the knowledge" have some advantages over sat nav users. Having it all in their brain, rather than needing to refer to a phone, means they can react to requests from passengers more easily on the fly. I can imagine this is especially helpful with tourists, for example, who might want a scenic tour rather than the simple A to B that a sat nav would give.