The Student Room Group

Depressed. Embarrassed AF

Hi,

So basically, a few months ago - my life was going well. I was so happy in life - like literally I was proud to call myself a grown man. I was working for a top company, was making decent money (sure it wasn't top pay) but it came with happiness and my life was busy. I enjoyed the working life, wearing a nice suit and tie to work everyday - having the good banter with my coworkers.

However, all good things come to an end - and well I soon became redundant and unemployed. This was due to the fact that I was only there on a contract and I planned to apply for other places whilst I was there.

Now, I am unemployed and looking for jobs. I have a First Class degree and some experience. Been putting so many applications and all I have been getting is rejections and false hopes! I've been getting a bit unhealthy and my parents have been nagging and annoying me everyday. I don't blame them BUT IT IS NOT MY FAULT! I have been applying every ****ing day and yet no ****er wants me. I've been getting depressed and now I smoke a bit of weed. The thing is, I was always against it and recently when people found out, they were disappointed in me. I am worried people are going to judge me.

Unemployment is killing me. No more friends and happiness.
Reply 1
Sit down frankly with your parents and ask them to go through your CV with them, show them any rejection letters you've received and cover pages you've sent out - it will help them comprehend the difficulties you're having if you can prove that you've really been having them.

While you're at it, be open and honest with them about the effect their nagging is having. Hopefully, they will appreciate the honesty and back off a bit if they realise it is having a negative impact.

Forget about the weed thing - it's not important in the grand scheme of things - but ensure you don't start to become dependent on it to distract yourself from the situation.

What field do you work in?
Tbh I think you should be proud of yourself, you are a man, you're trying your best to find a job and the fact that you wrote this post shoes you care. I understand it can affect your health, took me at least 3 months to find a job, just keep applying everyday, eventually you'll get something, don't give up! I understand that sometimes parents can not be supportive, they always assume you are doing nothing, when literally your head is gonna explode with worry and stress if finding a job. It's not your fault! Keep looking, I know you'll find one soon! :smile:
Reply 3
You have every right to be down and it's no body's business that you have smoked some weed. However, do not do it too much. It's distractive and it makes you think too much. It causes concentration and memory issues. I just like you had a job I really liked. Used to work at the construction for Glasgow council and it was awesome, easy and well paid, could also learn a lot. Unfortunately I got sacked not out of my fault but the people I worked with. The job made me feel great, but now when I work in a warehouse it makes me feel like I was some stupid ****. Got to make money after all, so it's all good, for now.

Life's no easy.
Original post by Anonymous
Tbh I think you should be proud of yourself, you are a man, you're trying your best to find a job and the fact that you wrote this post shoes you care. I understand it can affect your health, took me at least 3 months to find a job, just keep applying everyday, eventually you'll get something, don't give up! I understand that sometimes parents can not be supportive, they always assume you are doing nothing, when literally your head is gonna explode with worry and stress if finding a job. It's not your fault! Keep looking, I know you'll find one soon! :smile:

Sorry *shows lol I wrote this when I was sleepy
Reply 5
Original post by VodkaUK
You have every right to be down and it's no body's business that you have smoked some weed. However, do not do it too much. It's distractive and it makes you think too much. It causes concentration and memory issues. I just like you had a job I really liked. Used to work at the construction for Glasgow council and it was awesome, easy and well paid, could also learn a lot. Unfortunately I got sacked not out of my fault but the people I worked with. The job made me feel great, but now when I work in a warehouse it makes me feel like I was some stupid ****. Got to make money after all, so it's all good, for now.

Life's no easy.

Finally, I am happy that someone understands where I am coming from,

Like I am not smoking for the fun of it - in fact I only started for the first time recently after unemployment.

Employment made me happier, I was in better shape and was more ready to tackle life's problems.

Quick Reply

Latest