The Student Room Group

How many a-levels are you studying?

Are you studying 3, 4, or even 5, and what are they?
Do you think more that 3 is necessary?

Scroll to see replies

3- biology, chemistry and maths.
I don't think doing anymore is necessary as most universities and courses only require 3 A-levels. Doing 3 allows me to work hard on those subjects, do extracurricular activities that will help my university application and relax.
Original post by ultimateradman
3- biology, chemistry and maths.
I don't think doing anymore is necessary as most universities and courses only require 3 A-levels. Doing 3 allows me to work hard on those subjects, do extracurricular activities that will help my university application and relax.

Interesting. I am currently doing the exact same a-levels. I did start out with physics as a fourth but dropped it last week as I had the same thought as you. I also thought that it'd be better to do extremely well in three than doing decently in 4. But that's not to say that those doing 4 couldn't do extremely well in all four as well.

:smile:
Original post by hellomellow
Are you studying 3, 4, or even 5, and what are they?
Do you think more that 3 is necessary?

Maths, Chemistry and History

Weird mix I know. One of my biggest regrets was to take history and I should've taken Further Maths since I aspire to do mathematics at uni, but is too late now to drop a subject as I am in year 13.
Interesting. I am currently doing the exact same a-levels. I did start out with physics as a fourth but dropped it last week as I had the same thought as you. I also thought that it'd be better to do extremely well in three than doing decently in 4. But that's not to say that those doing 4 couldn't do extremely well in all four as well.

:smile:

I agree with you, but the chances are that doing 3 will just make life easier. Out of interest, what course are you thinking of pursuing? I think im trying for medicine.
i do 8
Original post by ultimateradman
I agree with you, but the chances are that doing 3 will just make life easier. Out of interest, what course are you thinking of pursuing? I think im trying for medicine.

Yeah I totally agree with that. Very glad I dropped physics early on in the year.
I'm currently considering dentistry. But I'm not 100% sure yet.
By the way, why are you considering medicine? I'm very intrigued about the course and it is an exceptional career path but many have told me that it is very high stress and the course and job is really difficult. Is that all true?
4 A Levels
Original post by MoistMandem
Maths, Chemistry and History

Weird mix I know. One of my biggest regrets was to take history and I should've taken Further Maths since I aspire to do mathematics at uni, but is too late now to drop a subject as I am in year 13.

History is still a great a-level and perhaps you can do something along the lines of chemical engineering or finance.
You still have great options :smile:
Original post by usfbullz
4 A Levels

Cool. Which ones?
Yeah I totally agree with that. Very glad I dropped physics early on in the year.
I'm currently considering dentistry. But I'm not 100% sure yet.
By the way, why are you considering medicine? I'm very intrigued about the course and it is an exceptional career path but many have told me that it is very high stress and the course and job is really difficult. Is that all true?

Well, considering how much revision and work I’ll have to put into to do the course at a good uni, then yes it will be difficult. And the job itself will probably be extremely hard too, but as of right now thats not a deterrent. As for why I want to do it, the answer is because I’ve always wanted to help people in my job, and I feel like that’s the way I want to do it. It’d also make my mum happy, which is what I also want to do in the future.
Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and an EPQ

no, i don't think that's necessary to study more than 3 because it's better to get A*A*A rather than A A B C and universities only require 3.
3 - History, French, Spanish. I did 4 in Year 12 but dropped Classics.
Reply 13
Started with 4, dropped one because it's too much work and really isn't needed. Better to get 3 good grades:wink:

After dropping Biology I continued with English Literature, Geography and Film Studies:smile:
I've finally dropped from 5 to 4 and it's such a relief. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry (dropped tech after AS) I find that 4 is ok if they link as there are significant overlaps between some of my subjects and taking this kept more uni choices open for me. I think more is nice if you can deal with the workload and do well (like my friend who is still doing 5) but you only actually need 3.
4 - Maths, F. Maths, Economics and Geography.
I do maths further maths geography and physics (year 12). Shall i drop geography or further maths such a hard decision they're both so boring
Reply 17
5. Futher Maths, Maths, Physics,Chem and bio
Reply 18
4- History, economics, English and maths

I needed the first 3 subjects for a competitive application and a good understanding of how to write to get ready for law at uni. I just love maths so I had to add it in!!
5: maths, further maths, English lit, French and Latin. If I can't manage all that, I'll do AS further maths instead. I don't think it's at all necessary to do more than 3; universities make offers based on 3 A-levels for the most part. I just wanted to do 5 because I like too many subjects and am too keen for my own good :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest