A levels are making me feel stupid Watch

EnskuKona
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there,

I left school at 16, about 10 years ago now, and I've now started doing a levels as a distance learner. I did very well at GCSEs and I'm usually a fast learner with other things but my goodness, I am struggling here. I'm doing biology, chemistry, and history, and NOTHING seems to be going in, especially with the science subjects. I feel like I'm just going over and over the same things without it clicking. I'm trying multiple methods of learning, from text books to revision guides, flash cards to youtube videos. And I'm barely understanding anything.

I'm reading a lot from young'uns doing science at A Level straight out of school who seem to be in a similar boat to me, so I don't think it's necessarily a distance learner or mature student thing, but that can't be helping.

So basically, what I'm asking is whether or not this will just "click" by itself, or if there's anything I can do to make my brain start understanding science at this level instead of getting stuck with the basics and feeling like I'm reading it all in a foreign language.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EnskuKona)
Hi there,

I left school at 16, about 10 years ago now, and I've now started doing a levels as a distance learner. I did very well at GCSEs and I'm usually a fast learner with other things but my goodness, I am struggling here. I'm doing biology, chemistry, and history, and NOTHING seems to be going in, especially with the science subjects. I feel like I'm just going over and over the same things without it clicking. I'm trying multiple methods of learning, from text books to revision guides, flash cards to youtube videos. And I'm barely understanding anything.

I'm reading a lot from young'uns doing science at A Level straight out of school who seem to be in a similar boat to me, so I don't think it's necessarily a distance learner or mature student thing, but that can't be helping.

So basically, what I'm asking is whether or not this will just "click" by itself, or if there's anything I can do to make my brain start understanding science at this level instead of getting stuck with the basics and feeling like I'm reading it all in a foreign language.
Maybe see if something like snaprevise will help? Paid service.
https://snaprevise.co.uk/faq
M3g5
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve heard good things about snaprevise if you don’t mind paying for it, good luck xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads