The Student Room Group

Gf is soo out my league and I'm worried.

Me and my girlfriend (18) have been together 2 years in January. I really love her and I know she loves me but she is so out of my league its unbelievable lol. I'm not the only person that knows this obviously, I have friends that love to remind me. She recently started at Uni and has made so many new friends at freshers, many of which are guys. I've met a few of them and I'm worried because they all seem like such a better match for her. I dropped out of my Uni course in year 2 and I feel she is so much smarter than me.

Anyway, my question is, am I selfish for staying with her? I just know she deserves better and I'm holding her back from meeting someone better than me. I just don't know, I want the best for her and I'm trying to do that but don't think I can. I also know not being with her will really hurt me.

Sorry for waffaling, I have been thinking about this for a long time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well you've got a lot to gain being with her and a lot to lose by not.

seems like a no brainer tbh
Your fear will push her away, man up and stop thinking she is out of your league - SHE picked YOU!
Have you spoken to her about this??

I'm sure you have many great qualities yourself, which is why she is with you. Nearly 2 years is quite a long time considering her age, idk how old you are but yeah. If your happy with her dont leave, talk things through with her. If she is happy with you dont worry
2 years huh.....welp, she would've left way earlier if she thought you weren't worth it. Remember, she chose to stay with you and unless she tries to say that she is '''way out of your league'', you should just be happy being with her and doing the best you can to make her happy as well. Nothing much else to do.....

P.S. You sound like you have an inferiority complex or some form of it, make sure it doesn't affect how you treat her e.g. spoil her like **** just coz you think she is "out of your league''.
You are going to lose her. That's not a guess, that's a fact. With an attitude like that, one day (or perhaps already) she'll stop respecting you and leave for an actual man, instead of an inferior pet.

Best advice? Start acting like she's right in your league, perhaps even below it, even though it isn't true.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Have you spoken to her about this??

Yes, She always tells me not to worry. So I guess I should just listen
Reply 7
Original post by DarthRoar
Best advice? Start acting like she's right in your league, perhaps even below it, even though it isn't true.

This is the kind of advice I need tbh, Thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by JDieMstr
P.S. You sound like you have an inferiority complex or some form of it, make sure it doesn't affect how you treat her e.g. spoil her like **** just coz you think she is "out of your league''.

I never thought about this before, but I think I probably do spoil her because I feel I need to to keep her...Whoops. Lucky she doesn't take advantage of that I guess:redface:
Original post by LmaooMitch
I never thought about this before, but I think I probably do spoil her because I feel I need to to keep her...Whoops. Lucky she doesn't take advantage of that I guess:redface:

Nothing wrong with spoiling your S.O. from time to time but make sure you're not the only one putting in the effort. You gotta be objective sometimes and see if you get spoiled as well, or at least be surprised by her....in a good way
Reply 10
Original post by JDieMstr
. You gotta be objective sometimes and see if you get spoiled as well, or at least be surprised by her....in a good way

We spoil each other for sure, but maybe I spoil her that tiny bit more:tongue:
just enjoy the present, thats all you can do

All relationships come to an end one day
You're one of those boys (because you can't be classed a man) who has NO BALLS.
She's with you, be happy
Reply 13
Don't compare yourself to other guys.

Forget about your friends say.

She chose you. Unless she's given you a reason to suspect anything, then you have the right to question things.

Trust her enough to know that even if they are guys more compatible with her, she will stick with you. Education level means nothing if your a douchebag. Don't get envious or jealous, give her freedom by trusting her. Support her with her goals.

Seems like a loving relationship from what you have said. Don't ruin it by getting insecure.
Reply 14
She's probably cheating on you as we speak
You're not selfish for still being with her, as long as you love her and she loves you that's all that matters.
Original post by hannah00
just enjoy the present, thats all you can do

All relationships come to an end one day

you sound slightly bitter...
Original post by angelike1
you sound slightly bitter...

well didnt mean too.

Just trying to emphasize you can only be the person you are, if your bf/gf no longer finds that attractive then you both move on.

no point stressing about it.

Dont start acting like you are in her league, as she probably knows how attractive you are mightve picked him for other reasons
Original post by DarthRoar
You are going to lose her. That's not a guess, that's a fact. With an attitude like that, one day (or perhaps already) she'll stop respecting you and leave for an actual man, instead of an inferior pet.

Start acting like she's below his league?

Grow the **** up, she'd drop him in a heartbeat if he followed your naive advice.
Original post by LmaooMitch
This is the kind of advice I need tbh, Thanks.

You need advice to start treating your girlfriend like she's below your league? Seriously?

The one thing that's keeping her with you is probably your personality and temperament, change that and you're ****ed.

Quick Reply

Latest