Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering what the financial situation would be if I dropped out of a masters course -do I have to attend the 3 months before I am entitled to the money to pay for the fees or will they charge me for the time I have spent there? In terms of private accomodation the 10k loan from SFE would cover that but i've only recieved a 1/3 at the moment. Will this mean I will not recieve the rest of the money and therefore have to find someone else to live in my room or pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes if you dropped out now you would not receive the final 2 instalments to pay for the rest of your accommodation so you will need to find a replacement tenant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yes if you dropped out now you would not receive the final 2 instalments to pay for the rest of your accommodation so you will need to find a replacement tenant.
    Okay but what about tuition fees?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by MichaelYEAH)
    Okay but what about tuition fees?
    You would still be liable for them and would have to work something out with the uni. Its up to them as to whether they pursue you for the whole fee or part.

If you have good reason fro dropping out (i.e health) they may be sympathetic. It varies from uni to uni. Student loans may also be sympathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You would still be liable for them and would have to work something out with the uni. Its up to them as to whether they pursue you for the whole fee or part.

If you have good reason fro dropping out (i.e health) they may be sympathetic. It varies from uni to uni. Student loans may also be sympathetic.
    What if I just don't think the course is for me and my anxiety/depression is slowly getting worse?
    • Very Important Poster

What if I just don't think the course is for me and my anxiety/depression is slowly getting worse?
    Go and see your GP.
    Get a letter of recommendation that youve are suffering MH issues and you should withdraw. They might be more sympathetic then.

Then go and talk to the student welfare/ mental health team.

How long have you been on the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Go and see your GP.
    Get a letter of recommendation that youve are suffering MH issues and you should withdraw. They might be more sympathetic then.

Then go and talk to the student welfare/ mental health team.

How long have you been on the course?
    Starting today but I just feel like I've made a huge mistake, like I constantly feel sick and I feel like i don't want to go back into education
    • Very Important Poster

Starting today but I just feel like I've made a huge mistake, like I constantly feel sick and I feel like i don't want to go back into education
    I wouldnt enroll and immediately look at withdrawing. Go and see the GP immediately and have a panic attack or talk about your depression and anxiety and you cant take the course. Your old GP if needed.

Its easier to withdraw if you havent enrolled or had any lectures.

Theres still time I think to minimise any money you might owe. Not the most interesting subject but its worth thousands of £'s.

Go for GP and mental health team then they are more likely to listen.

If you can get the uni to let you go and then return all the pgl money, then you could get out of it.

If the pgl money comes to you then do not give it to the uni or you will never see it again. The uni might let you stay and see if you can get used to it, just make sure it doesnt make your situation worse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.