The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Peanut allergy

After five years of suspecting I was allergic to nuts, it was confirmed this past Thursday. I'm allergic to peanuts and walnuts and have to carry epipens and antihistamines around with me now.

My parents are insisting I inform the University but do they really need to know? I'm not living in student accommodation so there's no threat of me being exposed to nuts in a shared flat and even then it's really my problem not their's right?

And if I do need to tell them where do I go? The Student Guidance Centre?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EveningWonder13
After five years of suspecting I was allergic to nuts, it was confirmed this past Thursday. I'm allergic to peanuts and walnuts and have to carry epipens and antihistamines around with me now.

My parents are insisting I inform the University but do they really need to know? I'm not living in student accommodation so there's no threat of me being exposed to nuts in a shared flat and even then it's really my problem not their's right?

Agree with parents and you take it seriously.
Let your health centre know- usually the uni registered one.
Ask them if anyone else should know i.e department.
Check with the uni welfare team or the SU if they have epi pens on campus. They must have some sort of policy as you wont be the only person with this issue and it would be useful just in case you forget yours.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

But you may come into contact with someone eating them on campus? I'd tell them to be on the safe side.
Original post by Tiger Rag
But you may come into contact with someone eating them on campus? I'd tell them to be on the safe side.

The thing is that as long as I don't consume nuts I'm fine. I'm not severely allergic to the point where I'd need to use my epipens if someone was eating them across the room.

That's why I didn't think I needed to tell the uni.

Hi EveningWonder13 :hello:

It might be an idea to get in touch with our Student Wellbeing services for some advice.

You can email them at [email protected] or call into The Student Guidance Centre.

Kachela
(Team Queen's)
Original post by Queen's University Belfast
Hi EveningWonder13 :hello:

It might be an idea to get in touch with our Student Wellbeing services for some advice.

You can email them at [email protected] or call into The Student Guidance Centre.

Kachela
(Team Queen's)

Hi Kachela,

I called in today at the Student Guidance Centre and I was told I only needed to inform them if an event was being held in which food was being served.

Thanks for the advice anyway though.
The thing is that as long as I don't consume nuts I'm fine. I'm not severely allergic to the point where I'd need to use my epipens if someone was eating them across the room.

That's why I didn't think I needed to tell the uni.

I have the same allergy however I wasn't given epipens. I still would tel the university even though I know nothing serious will happen just to make my parents feel safer.
Well this thread isn't gonna award me with some rep for a witty comment! I'm 'outta' here! *Sprints off frantically in search of another thread*
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest