The Student Room Group

depression comes back when i'm drunk

I've had quite severe depression since I was around 12/13, it reached a peak around 4 years ago where it was exceptionally bad.

Moving on from then, for the last year and a half, it has improved drastically. I can go about a normal life, don't have to see a psychiatrist anymore, and i'm back in work. I still take medication (propanolol) for the anxiety, which is sometimes bad but manageable just about! My mood generally is ok, for the last few weeks has been worse though.

However..... when I drink, the depression comes back really bad. Reaaaally bad. I want to end everything, I can't cope, I need help, don't know what to do. I think about how easy it would be to just swallow 20 of my anxiety tablets.

But at the same time, I drink to not feel sober.

Has anyone else experienced this? Just want to not feel so alone in these thoughts.

Any advice is appreciated.
yes, i get that too
to put it frankly, you just need to stop drinking as much, there's no two ways about it, if you go out, stick to something with a lower alcohol content
This might sound glaringly obvious, but, you should stop drinking.

You're possibly still not quite stable enough to drink yet, so I would really avoid it for the forseeable future.

Stay safe! :redface:
The solution is to stop the drinking.
As everyone else has said: yeah, cutting back on how much you drink, if not completely, sounds like it'd be a good idea - for now, at least.

I occasionally get like this, although not to the extent that you seem to, I'm afraid. I just have bouts of feeling like I'm stone-cold sober and becoming really... pensive, I guess? Eh.
Reply 5
Alcohol is a depressant. People who have no history with depression can get depressed from drinking it (usually the next day), so for someone who’s suffered from depression it's far more likely to happen.

Alcohol can also drive people into depression often leading them to excessively drinking or trying other substances. Your best bet is staying away from it for awhile and then drinking in small amounts, don’t get drunk just get buzzed and see how you feel from there, but at least you know you have some control over your body and thoughts to stay safe.

Plenty of people have experienced what you’ve said, in fact a quick google search will give the scientific evidence to show it’s exactly what alcohol intends to do.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest