Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Investment Banking: crappy uni so taking extra modules, but which one? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I didn't get the best A Levels (personal problems) so ended up at a crap university.

I redid my A Levels whilst at uni and got A*AA so now I meet the minimum requirements to apply to investment banks.

However, as my university is so crap and full of idiots, I'm finding the course so easy. Therefore, I want to take one/two extra modules to:

1. make up for the university;
    2. challenge myself; and
    3. answer the "why investment banking" question better as currently my course is unrelated to the industry (Law).

I can pretty much do any module (as long as they are 100% exam), here are some examples:
    - Game Theory
    - Finance and Risk Management
    - Introduction to Economics

ReputationRep:
    what kind of uni that requires A*aa to join a course is crap????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosssafley)
    I got crap A Levels at first which is why I ended up at the crap uni.

I then redid my A Levels (A*AA) but I am still at the same university.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosssafley)
    They re-did their A-levels after starting.

(Original post by Usernametaken96)
    Basically I didn't get the best A Levels (personal problems) so ended up at a crap university.

I redid my A Levels whilst at uni and got A*AA so now I meet the minimum requirements to apply to investment banks.

However, as my university is so crap and full of idiots, I'm finding the course so easy. Therefore, I want to take one/two extra modules to:

2. challenge myself; and
    3. answer the "why investment banking" question better as currently my course is unrelated to the industry (Law).

I can pretty much do any module (as long as they are 100% exam), here are some examples:
    - Game Theory

Finance and Risk Management

Finance and Risk Management
    Law is intrinsically related to IBanking and the entire financial services sector, because as demonstrated by the uncertainty of Brexit and many major financial institutions considering moving their HQs from London to EU locations, there are myriad domestic and international laws which both structure how the sector functions, and affects their profit margins etc due to taxation and related duties imposed upon the service providers. So, that's kind of a moot argument. Moreover, IBanking doesn't care about what you study. They only care where you've studied, and not studying at some mythologised "target university" does in fact make it difficult (although not impossible) to enter the area. There are no curricular requirements because in actuality a trained monkey can use excel and argue about what font is best to use for a powerpoint presentation.

In any case, additional modules are extremely unlikely to make a difference in an application. You would be better off getting a 1st, then doing a masters from a target uni to get the tickbox name on your application.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of investment banks have target universities which they pretty much solely hire from. You've done well in your a levels now so if think it's so crap why don't you try to transfer?

Law is a great degree for investment banking, it's as relevant as any. There isn't a banking degree. The only straight answer you can really give to why investment banking is you want money.

ReputationRep:

2. challenge myself; and

- Game Theory
    Transfer to a target uni or go to a target uni for a masters. Ibanks won't care about your degree in law if it's in a ex-poly or even in some Russel group unis. They mainly hire from the lines of lse, Warwick, imperial, UCL, oxbridge, lbs etc

ReputationRep:
    Bro, you could easily transfer to do something piss easy, like Philosophy at Warwick. If I was you, I would start filling your UCAS asap, get the references in, talk about yourself becoming more mature and ready to do another different, easy to get into subject. Then, submit your UCAS and wait for the offers. As soon as you get the offers just quit uni and wait for the next academic year. Can you do that? Yeah. Is it the right thing to do? Yeah. We don't know what A-levels you got, so can't really recommend you a subject, but the infamous rule of uni> subject applies in IB 99% of the time. Moreover, you could really make up some story for your IB interviews, where you talk about perseverance and resilience and all the rest of it. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:

2. challenge myself; and

- Game Theory
    idk where you're getting your information from about "minimum entry requirements" but I know they don't exist for places like JPM, GS, and MS. My dad used to recruit for JPM and he said what uni is irrelevant, course matters to a certain extent (I'd do the other modules, law is ok but not ideal), experience matters, but most of all your personality i.e. can you handle stress, long hours, (often) a strong drinking culture.

Good luck with your studies

ReputationRep:
    doubt extra modules would help much
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

2. challenge myself; and

- Game Theory
    You're better off moving universities than doing what you're planning to be doing. Doing those modules will make zilch all difference in your career prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Move uni. Apply LSE, UCL, WARWICK and other stuff, best advice 100%

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else is saying, change universities. Even if you have to drop out, a year or so extra now to get into your choice of career is worth it. I go to a non-target and if I had the option I would re-do A-levels and change uni. You got very good grades, and should be able to get into the target unis. Apply, if you get offer, enjoy uni or drop out and go travelling (or whatever you want).

As prince said, doing an extra module will do **** all. It is a waste of time. Your interest in IB doesnt have to come from a uni degree. It can be from almost anything.

Best advice: Re-apply, even if you have to start from year 1, to a target uni.

ReputationRep:
    use the time you would lose out on extra modules on: attending the insight days, annoying anyone and everyone relevant on linkedin, reading your websites to learn about the industry, practicing for tests and for ints.

stop complaining about your university, work around it, not against it. and regardless, your uni is probably not as bad as you make it sound.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.