Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good Morning Folks

I hope you're well. My daughter recently started 6th form school, and she needs to catch 2 different buses in order to get to her new school. She has never caught a bus before, and with the dark and cold evenings coming soon, I am worried for her safety.

Is there anything that I can do in order to ensure she is ok? She already has a mobile phone which she can use any time to tell me if she needs any sort of help.

I am thinking of a personal safety alarm or something similar?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by geek84)
    Good Morning Folks

I hope you're well. My daughter recently started 6th form school, and she needs to catch 2 different buses in order to get to her new school. She has never caught a bus before, and with the dark and cold evenings coming soon, I am worried for her safety.

Is there anything that I can do in order to ensure she is ok? She already has a mobile phone which she can use any time to tell me if she needs any sort of help.

Thanks
    Does she have a friend she can catch the bus with?

ReputationRep:
    Put a tracking chip in her

ReputationRep:
    I would say a safety alarm

ReputationRep:
    Maybe encourage her to make friends with other girls on the bus so she has a group to be with, strength in numbers and all that. You could also take the bus route with her before she starts so she knows where she's going.

ReputationRep:
    Safety alarm I guess, travel with friends.

Get some [illegal] pepper spray or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocodile_ears)
    Maybe encourage her to make friends with other girls on the bus so she has a group to be with, strength in numbers and all that. You could also take the bus route with her before she starts so she knows where she's going.
    ^This, and remembering that the risk of being hit by a car far outweighs any other risk. See if you can persuade her to wear reflective or white clothes/flashes, put the phone down when crossing the road, all that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by geek84)
    Good Morning Folks

Thanks
    Give her a little torch in case her phone runs out of battery, make sure she knows where she's going and have an idea for around when she should be home. If she seems to be running late, just drop her a text. Give her about 10-20 mins to respond then call her. Just say something like you're checking in in case the bus was delayed or because of the weather (anything that doesn't sound like "I don't trust you to be out late").
    Gently encourage her to go with a friend.
    There's not much need for any sort of alarm if you live in an okay area, but if you do get her one, try to get one that's also a torch or something so it doesn't seem too overly protective. Remember you're protecting her sanity as well as her safety

She's a semi-grown up now. This is her time to prove herself and take some responsibility. Try not to mummy (or daddy) her too much. What seems like a good idea (and probably is one) to you can seem like you undermining her new responsibility or babying her.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks folks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.