The Student Room Group

getting a black box when i work awkward hours?

i've got my driving test in 2 weeks and people have suggested getting a black box when i pass to help with insurance costs. thing is i start work at 3am, would this affect my black box 'score'?
Original post by Articultr
i've got my driving test in 2 weeks and people have suggested getting a black box when i pass to help with insurance costs. thing is i start work at 3am, would this affect my black box 'score'?

It really depends on the insurer. Some give you a curfew, some will give you "penalty points" and some just don't care.

You'll have to ask the insurer directly for the answer :smile:

Some companies have curfews, some don't. Best to check with individual companies.
Personally though I'd try not to bother with a black box. Especially with having to drive at that sort of time.
I would recommend Direct line.
The time of day you drive is considered, but it will only slightly affect your score. Length of driving is also considered because of the risk of tiredness, which is the reason why the time of day is considered.

Black box car insurance can be cheaper than non-black box car insurance when your driving style is in a very low risk category (compared to other drivers who opt for a black box), but at the same time it can also come out as extremely expensive with the true cost for the year not necessarily known upfront. There are also some very good deals from insurance providers both on and off price comparison websites (latterly, Aviva and Direct Line). I'd suggest getting some quotes for both, but being mindful that oftentimes black box insurance does not work out to be the cheapest over the course of a year or more, especially once you've factored in hidden costs such as installation or removal fees of the telemetry module.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending