HELP - Is there anyone here that took 3 A levels where one of them is Further Maths

Watch
KHNG1302
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm facing a current problem that I have taken 4 AS-levels. Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. I am considering to drop Comp Sci in favour for the other 3 but have heard counter arguments that IF I take Further Maths, I need to take a 4th A-level as M + FM is regarded as a '1.5 A-Levels' sort of - in various schools.

Is this true? Do I have to take a 4th A-level to compensate the fact that I'm doing 2 maths and would it hurt my chances to get into schools of my desire (Oxford, Manchester, Bath, etc.) if I'm doing only 3 A-Levels (that is after dropping Comp Sci)?

Thanks so much in advance
hraaami
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends some maths and physics degrees count maths and fm separately. Check the unis website of the courses you want to do and see if they allow it
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do the same A Levels as you except I do Chemistry instead of CompSci (self study CompSci at home).

You'll be fine, however this depends on the intended degree you choose to pursue, the only instances where I've seen Unis consider FM and M as a single A Level is in the context of Medical Schools, (which is, from looking at your A Levels, probably not a degree you intend on pursuing,) and some straight Maths degrees, however this policy varies from uni to uni, check online.
KHNG1302
Rep:
?
(Original post by AryanGh)
I do the same A Levels as you except I do Chemistry instead of CompSci (self study CompSci at home).

You'll be fine, however this depends on the intended degree you choose to pursue, the only instances where I've seen Unis consider FM and M as a single A Level is in the context of Medical Schools, (which is, from looking at your A Levels, probably not a degree you intend on pursuing,) and some straight Maths degrees, however this policy varies from uni to uni, check online.
Thanks so much! I will write some emails to ask them specifically about this issue.
KHNG1302
Rep:
?
(Original post by musa_tal)
It depends some maths and physics degrees count maths and fm separately. Check the unis website of the courses you want to do and see if they allow it
Thank you, I will question them further
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads