Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm practising naming compounds but I am struggling with the following compound: CH3CH2CH(CH3)CH2CHFCH3 - could anybody help me work it out?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isab3l)
    Hi,
    I'm practising naming compounds but I am struggling with the following compound: CH3CH2CH(CH3)CH2CHFCH3 - could anybody help me work it out?
    Thanks
    I'd make it 4 methyl 2 fluorohexane, but I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    2-fluoro-4-methylhexane

ReputationRep:
    First identify the longest carbon chain, in this case it is 6, therefore hexane. Next substituent groups - i.e. the fluorine atom replacing the H on carbon 2 and the methyl on carbon 4. Naming is done 2 and 4 rather than naming 3 and 5 (from the other end) due to them being lower numbers and fluoro is placed before methyl as substituent groups are named alphabetically.

ReputationRep:
    2-fluoro,4-methylhexane i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutraltones)
    First identify the longest carbon chain, in this case it is 6, therefore hexane. Next substituent groups - i.e. the fluorine atom replacing the H on carbon 2 and the methyl on carbon 4. Naming is done 2 and 4 rather than naming 3 and 5 (from the other end) due to them being lower numbers and fluoro is placed before methyl as substituent groups are named alphabetically.
    Thank you so much for the explanation!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.