The Student Room Group

President Trump is right again!

It is an open gesture of disrespect to go down on one knee when any national anthem is played, in the US people are free to express that feeling without being dragged into a dungeon and that is what is happening. One of the things that make America great, you can spit on it and live to tell the tale with a high level of media adherence and sympathy even. Sections of it.

It is hard to envisage any nation's President endorsing such acts, it means those people are ashamed of being citizens of that country in no uncertain terms. He has his own style but I totally agree with the principle he upholds.

Many black players have enough respect for the anthem to stand on both feet so you don't have to be white to agree with the President. These practices are socially counter-productive, they cause more division that unity. In that dressing-room, there is a split already.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zhog
It is an open gesture of disrespect to go down on one knee when any national anthem is played, in the US people are free to express that feeling without being dragged into a dungeon and that is what is happening.

It is hard to envisage any nation's President endorsing such acts, it means those people are ashamed of being citizens of that country in no uncertain terms. He has his own style but I totally agree with the principle he upholds.

Many black players have enough respect for the anthem to stand on both feet so you don't have to be white to agree with the President. These practices are socially counter-productive, they cause more division that unity.

It says a lot about Trump that he got riled up because a black person peacefully and silently protested, yet he refused to condemn Charlottesville.

I'm pretty sure being an alt-right neo-Nazi causes more division than unity and has the potential to be far more harmful. Oh wait! We have a story about someone kneeling down for the national anthem? Let's focus on that!
Original post by zhog
It is an open gesture of disrespect to go down on one knee when any national anthem is played, in the US people are free to express that feeling without being dragged into a dungeon and that is what is happening. One of the things that make America great, you can spit on it and live to tell the tale with a high level of media adherence and sympathy even. Sections of it.

Many black players have enough respect for the anthem to stand on both feet so you don't have to be white to agree with the President. These practices are socially counter-productive, they cause more division that unity.

It's a form of protest and quite an effective one it seems. Going down on one knee during them anthem isn't necessarily showing dislike for the country but to protest against certain issues within the country.
Peaceful/non-violent protest? Perfectly fine in my eyes, as well as the eyes of most sane people who can respect that. Trump just pandering his base with this 'fire them for kneeling nonsense'. Players are free to exercise that right without needing the god damn President to comment on it.
Original post by MrDystopia
Peaceful/non-violent protest? Perfectly fine in my eyes, as well as the eyes of most sane people who can respect that. Trump just pandering his base with this 'fire them for kneeling nonsense'. Players are free to exercise that right without needing the god damn President to comment on it.

Did you see Trump withdrew Stephen Curry's whitehouse invitation after he rejected the invite just to try and save some face like it was Trump's decision lol?

:rofl:
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Did you see Trump withdrew Stephen Curry's whitehouse invitation after he rejected the invite just to try and save some face like it was Trump's decision lol?

:rofl:

Indeed, I've been following this story closely given it mixes my two loves, politics and sports. It's just incredible that Trump feels it's an issue worth shouting about, when all it's going to bring him is even more negativity. Winding up the NFL and the NBA across two days....yeah that's smart :rolleyes:
Original post by zhog

Many black players have enough respect for the anthem to stand on both feet so you don't have to be white to agree with the President. These practices are socially counter-productive, they cause more division that unity. In that dressing-room, there is a split already.

Nobody of any colour has/should have an obligation to respect and support the country they were born in. There is a great deal of shame that Americans should feel about their country.

Also this is pretty pathetic in general. They're acting in protest against a national anthem. An anthem. Is this really a big deal? And to think that Donald Trump ran a campaign against political correctness...
It never ceases to amaze me how easily Trump, his supporters and the right in general are so easily offended and upset.
Well, I think you have to be one of those people who can't sleep at night fretting over the man to see it that way and will reiterate my agreement. What would Obama say, why don't all black players or people feel the same way? Some were kneeling, others were singing the anthem and I'm with them. This does more harm than good.
Original post by SHallowvale

Also this is pretty pathetic in general. They're acting in protest against a national anthem. An anthem. Is this really a big deal?

Yeah, they don't like the tune. Go Trump...
Singing the national anthem before every match is a waste of time but the reasons he is against standing for the national anthem are weird. Colin Kapernick/other NFL players are not standing because they feel black people are being oppressed. Then why doesn't he try to help them or provide solutions or give his experience as to how he got to uni and be educated or find a job or became a pro athlete. There is patriotism and there is patriotism which is a bit too much like in India where they play the anthem before movies and you have to stand and some poor disabled guy got beaten up. Like I fully understand it when it is a international football game(soccer) game but if the UK anthem was played before every Premier League I wouldn't really understand it when practically none of the players are English. I feel there is a time and a place for an anthem. In most national sporting leagues I don't really understand it.
It's more bizarre that the anthem is still played before every single game... That level of state mandated "aren't we amazing" is usually only saved for communistical / fascistic countries.
Original post by Drewski
It's more bizarre that the anthem is still played before every single game... That level of state mandated "aren't we amazing" is usually only saved for communistical / fascistic countries.

Indeed. But then we all know American Exceptionalism still runs rife...as evidenced by Trump/his supporters getting riled up over these players kneeling.

Definitely needs to be done away with. It's way too excessive.
I don't understand why it's a big deal at all.
Original post by MrDystopia
Indeed. But then we all know American Exceptionalism still runs rife...as evidenced by Trump/his supporters getting riled up over these players kneeling.

Definitely needs to be done away with. It's way too excessive.

>Rick and Morty Avatar.

Is it even possible for you to be more Leddit?
Original post by GrabDrop
>Rick and Morty Avatar.

Is it even possible for you to be more Leddit?

I dunno, I just like the show :yy:
Obama would have said this is not the way to go about it, as much as most or all other black players staying out of it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I don't understand why it's a big deal at all.

Do you understand why it may be to an american war veteran, for instance? They don't all read the NYT in the US, flag and anthem still hold much sway with most of them and things like this end up polarizing public opinion for no gain whatsoever. That's precisely what is happening in changing rooms between black players right now, we don't even have to hear from one to know. Rejoice.
Original post by zhog
Do you understand why it may be to an american war veteran, for instance? They don't all read the NYT in the US, flag and anthem still hold much sway with most of them and things like this end up polarizing public opinion for no gain whatsoever. That's precisely what is happening in changing rooms between black players right now, we don't even have to hear from one to know. Rejoice.

Oh no. Changing rooms might have people with different opinions in them. How on earth will we cope?
Original post by Drewski

American "patriotism" is what the rest of the world recognizes as fanaticism. Their worship of their worthless pieces of cloth and useless songs is just a way for them to instill in people this ridiculous idea of "if you don't do this you hate this country and are fair game to the rest of us". Even before Trump, one of the reasons I would never be able to live in the States is because I refuse to send my kids to a school where the first thing you do in class each day is pledge allegiance to a flag. Their medieval ways are how there were enough idiots in the country to vote for Trump

Quick Reply

Latest