Why did the Prayer Book Rebellion / western rebellion fail Watch

Minty12343
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please, can you give me some reason of why the Prayer Book rebellion failed?
GekLhar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are two main reasons for the failure of the 'Prayer Book' rebellion; these stem from the objective of marching on London.

While Humphrey Arundell demonstrated tactical prowess, (By June 1549, he rallied 6000 men) the move to take Exeter befoe advancing to London highlights a strategic blunder. Exeter would have been fruitful for weapons and arms had it been unprotected, however, it was garrisoned stronger than London meaning Arundell missed the opportunity to exploit Somerset's weakness; as Somerset was more concerned with scotland and economic policies. The fact that the rebellion was constricted to the West ensured a lack of support (which could have been gained by those discontent w/ religous policies in L)

Moreover, one has to question the aims of the rebels. Certainly, they had no intention of deposing Edward, but would the Protestant stronghold have simply submitted to thedemands specified in the 8 articles and oversee a reversion to Catholicism?

I would contemplate how the nature of rebellions determines success. I hope this explained some failures, but understanding how it was nevertheless threatening is a necessity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (49)
24.62%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (64)
32.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (37)
18.59%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (17)
8.54%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
16.08%

Watched Threads