Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jaguar Land Rover Service Technician Apprenticeship Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    So I’m new to the student room and created this to get opinions and views from like minded people. I recently applied to an Advanced apprenticeship at JLR as a service tech. I passed the telephone interview and am currently waiting on a face-to-face interview.

I wanted to know peoples experiences of this apprenticeship and hear their say on the process. What questions can I expect in the interview? Is there plenty of development opportunities? Do you ever get to drive between dealerships? Is it underrated from your eyes? Just an overall idea of what I should do to get this role.

All help is appreciated thank you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamran679)
    So I’m new to the student room and created this to get opinions and views from like minded people. I recently applied to an Advanced apprenticeship at JLR as a service tech. I passed the telephone interview and am currently waiting on a face-to-face interview.

I wanted to know peoples experiences of this apprenticeship and hear their say on the process. What questions can I expect in the interview? Is there plenty of development opportunities? Do you ever get to drive between dealerships? Is it underrated from your eyes? Just an overall idea of what I should do to get this role.

All help is appreciated thank you
    The dealer service tech apprenticeships don't follow the same process as the company's Advanced apprenticeship selections, but I would assume you'll have some kind of skills test, as they're pretty weighted in the application process, and then a standard interview format.

I would guess you'll most likely be based at a single dealership as they're expecting you to fill a vacancy.

Where did you find the apprenticeship to apply for it? Would help to identify the role a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    The vacancy was on the government apprenticeship website where I’ve been applying for most of these apprenticeships. During my telephone interview I asked my interview if there were any assessments especially a mechanical one she said there are none.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The vacancy was on the government apprenticeship website where I’ve been applying for most of these apprenticeships. During my telephone interview I asked my interview if there were any assessments especially a mechanical one she said there are none.
    Who's offering it? Lookers or someone like that? It doesn't sound company affiliated without a skills test.

ReputationRep:
    Yea it’s offered by grange motors
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yea it’s offered by grange motors
    Sounds like 1 dealership wants a an apprentice. Won't have too much attachment to JLR as a main company in terms of training etc.

ReputationRep:
    So you think the franchise is taking over most of the apprenticeship and it’s workings?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So you think the franchise is taking over most of the apprenticeship and it’s workings?
    No, I think 1 dealership, is taking on 1 or more apprentices, and they sell mainly JLR vehicles. The training won't be provided by JLR, but rather by the dealership. It won't lead you to a role within JLR as a company, but will allow you to, potentially, move up within the dealership where you work.

It sounds like they have a service technician vacancy at the dealership and rather than advertise a full salary, they'd rather take on an apprentice at a low wage and train them. Check your training package before you accept.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the advice were you once apart of a dealership programme l?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the advice were you once apart of a dealership programme l?
    No I'm on JLR's degree apprenticeship and nothing you've mentioned follows the application process of any of the company's selection process, and isn't a vacancy advertised by JLR as a company.

Dealerships, as I'm sure you're aware, operate independently of the OEM so any recruitment is handled by them, not by JLR.

Has there been any indication of salary for the role?

ReputationRep:
    When I asked they kept it quiet and the training provider said it was up to the employer but they generally pay higher than the minimum wage stated. I guess it would be around 4.50 an hour since everyone does that.

I remember that the apprenticeship is done by Babcock training who have a designated team to deal with Jaguar Land Rover since that’s who I went through every time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    When I asked they kept it quiet and the training provider said it was up to the employer but they generally pay higher than the minimum wage stated. I guess it would be around 4.50 an hour since everyone does that.

I remember that the apprenticeship is done by Babcock training who have a designated team to deal with Jaguar Land Rover since that’s who I went through every time
    Yeah, it's not a JLR apprenticeship then if that's the wage. It's dealership.

Babcock don't deal with JLR, they deal with Grange Motors, who are a dealership who sell JLR products.

My advice would be check the training programme carefully, and make sure you get something worthwhile in terms of qualifications, and you're not just being used as cheap labour.

I found what I believe it to be on indeed, is it based at Reading?

ReputationRep:
    The advert described it as Stratstone Jaguar ltd Woodford which has become Grange Jaguar Land Rover. Qualification wise it’s a level 3 certificate in light vehicle maintenance. As far as dealership programmes go I never seen one that hasn’t been supplied via a franchise I.e Lookers or Grange.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The advert described it as Stratstone Jaguar ltd Woodford which has become Grange Jaguar Land Rover. Qualification wise it’s a level 3 certificate in light vehicle maintenance. As far as dealership programmes go I never seen one that hasn’t been supplied via a franchise I.e Lookers or Grange.
    OK so from that:

1. It's not a JLR apprenticeship. So anything you've read on JLR's website regarding their apprenticeships won't be applicable.
    2. It's offered by the dealership itself, and they use a training provider, Babcock, to provide their apprenticeship training.
    3. As they list it for a particular dealership, it's most likely you will only be working there.

Best of luck, hope it pans out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info it’s something to really think bout like that and make a few questions on for the interview. You’ve been a great insight into how the apprenticeship works
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info it’s something to really think bout like that and make a few questions on for the interview. You’ve been a great insight into how the apprenticeship works
    It would be worth googling the company, and taking a look at reviews, it'll give you an insight into how they operate, what it's likely to be like working for them.

ReputationRep:
    Yea in preparing for the interview I done most of that but when it comes to reviews there are hardly any relating to this but thanks for the tip.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yea in preparing for the interview I done most of that but when it comes to reviews there are hardly any relating to this but thanks for the tip.
    Really? I've seen most of the 1 star reviews are relating to their service centre being poor.

ReputationRep:
    buy me one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.