Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am an A2 student about to submit my UCAS application. I was wondering if any UCL and Imperial students can help me out as to which university I should favour?

I know Imperial is a more prestigious institution especially for compsci, and as I'm planning on moving to USA after my degree, international rep is a major factor in which university I want to study at so I stand a better chance of landing a job.

However, UCL is also prestigious and is recognised internationally, just not as much as Imperial probably. Also, from talking to Imperial students, UCL seems to be a less intense course where I might be able to enjoy myself a little alongside with study. From what I've heard about Imperial, there is very little opportunity to take a break from study.

At the moment, I am leaning towards UCL as I want to enjoy the next three/four years of time whilst also studying towards a degree that will be respected in other countries. Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Payapulli)
    I am an A2 student about to submit my UCAS application. I was wondering if any UCL and Imperial students can help me out as to which university I should favour?

I know Imperial is a more prestigious institution especially for compsci, and as I'm planning on moving to USA after my degree, international rep is a major factor in which university I want to study at so I stand a better chance of landing a job.

However, UCL is also prestigious and is recognised internationally, just not as much as Imperial probably. Also, from talking to Imperial students, UCL seems to be a less intense course where I might be able to enjoy myself a little alongside with study. From what I've heard about Imperial, there is very little opportunity to take a break from study.

At the moment, I am leaning towards UCL as I want to enjoy the next three/four years of time whilst also studying towards a degree that will be respected in other countries. Any opinions?
    Depends if you want to work for Google/Facebook etc

ReputationRep:
    Let Luck pick. Choose the one thats closest to your home.

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about the computing degree imperial offer, then it's a no brainer to choose that imo. Hard to say a degree can guarantee you're gonna make it in life, but man if one does exist then it's that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    Depends if you want to work for Google/Facebook etc
    Which uni gets them into google/facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Across the world, UCL is slightly more prestigious overall but barely ranks higher (7th overall to Imperials 8th). But for STEM specfically, Imperial is amazing, e.g. for CS 12th in the world while UCL 37th. So both are great in different ways if you want the STEM prestige go for imperial. But if you want other stuff, e.g. more abroad study, less intense, then I'd go UCL as it's rep is still fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionike123)
    Which uni gets them into google/facebook.
    No uni gets you into top tech companies, but if you choose UCL over Imperial because you want a more relaxed time at university you probably won't end up at one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsandP)
    Across the world, UCL is slightly more prestigious overall but barely ranks higher (7th overall to Imperials 8th). But for STEM specfically, Imperial is amazing, e.g. for CS 12th in the world while UCL 37th. So both are great in different ways if you want the STEM prestige go for imperial. But if you want other stuff, e.g. more abroad study, less intense, then I'd go UCL as it's rep is still fantastic.
    Based off one league table? People confuse UCL with UCLA it's so unknown there

ReputationRep:
    You have 5 options - put them both down and revisit the question when/if you get offers from them both. Your initial thoughts on both UCL and Imperial are correct in terms of what many people say (I'm an IC grad from 20 years ago and not much seems to have changed!)

Your supercurricular work eg hackathons, building apps, coding side projects will likely make more of a difference in terms of getting a job than whether you went to UCL or IC

ReputationRep:

Pick Imperial; furthermore, you're not gonna get into those tech companies with a "I want to relax" attitude either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Based off one league table? People confuse UCL with UCLA it's so unknown there
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 16.57.55.png
Views: 83
Size:  196.1 KB
    You are fake news

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 16.57.55.png
Views: 83
Size:  196.1 KB
    You are fake news
    Use your head and maybe stick to politics? Imperial's 20 courses and UCL's hundreds and it surprises you more people have googled it? Google is a TECH company, it hires highly TECH focused graduates. Imperial is the epitome of TECH here. They have Imperial on their radar more than UCL, given that they tend to have better grades, more rigourous courses etc. Obvious who'd someone hire based off of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Use your head and maybe stick to politics? Imperial's 20 courses and UCL's hundreds and it surprises you more people have googled it? Google is a TECH company, it hires highly TECH focused graduates. Imperial is the epitome of TECH here. They have Imperial on their radar more than UCL, given that they tend to have better grades, more rigourous courses etc. Obvious who'd someone hire based off of that.
    Lol just accept you were proved wrong haha

ReputationRep:
    Lol just accept you were proved wrong haha
    Proved wrong how? UCL is less known compared to Imperial for US tech companies, because most of Imperial's degrees are technical.

Gassed up sixth form students at it again.

ReputationRep:
    There's a negligible difference between Imperial and UCL when we're talking about the universities as a whole. However for CompSci (and STEM subjects in general), it's probably better to go for Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Just to make it clear. I am not going to university to have a relaxing time. I understand both universities will require hard work and dedication. But it would be nice to have some kind of a life at the same time.

I am well aware that Imperial is ranked much higher than UCL for STEM, but Imperial only does STEM so this is expected. Essentially, what I want to know is whether the added STEM prestige that Imperial has is so much greater than UCL so that getting a job in somewhere like USA would be significantly easier if I studied at Imperial

ReputationRep:
    Just to make it clear. I am not going to university to have a relaxing time. I understand both universities will require hard work and dedication. But it would be nice to have some kind of a life at the same time.

I am well aware that Imperial is ranked much higher than UCL for STEM, but Imperial only does STEM so this is expected. Essentially, what I want to know is whether the added STEM prestige that Imperial has is so much greater than UCL so that getting a job in somewhere like USA would be significantly easier if I studied at Imperial
    I think you should go to Imperial tbh. I don't know anything about Uni etc but if you want a STEM job and get 1st class honours in a highly recognised STEM Only uni then it might look better.

Either way, if get a first in either Uni you should be set anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What about Durham??? I'm not too keen on applying to Durham as I think its international rep isn't on the same level as Imperial, UCL, Oxbridge. Am I wrong in thinking that?

ReputationRep:
    What about Durham??? I'm not too keen on applying to Durham as I think its international rep isn't on the same level as Imperial, UCL, Oxbridge. Am I wrong in thinking that?
    Durham's compsci department is poor.

Top companies when they're looking for top quality grads look at Oxbridge and Imperial. Many companies don't even bother going to careers fairs outside of those 3.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Apply to a range of good universities and don't stress so much about incremental differences between two renowned institutions.

Sure, Imperial is better for CS, but so what? At that level (hell at any decent research focused uni with moderately difficult entry requirements), there's no point in comparisons as it largely boils down to how you make the most of your opportunities.

Also, it's highly unlikely you'll get to go to the US directly after university. The chances of getting an H1-B visa (the non-immigrant work visa) is ~30% given how oversubscribed applications are. Talk of getting job offers. A far more likely route is getting a job at a company with offices here and in the US then transferring. Name brand doesn't really play a part at that stage, it's all internal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.