The Student Room Group

Graduated NCS, AMA

I know some people will be doing it in October, or some next summer. I had a lot of questions before I started, so if you do, feel free to ask away!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by strawberries567
I know some people will be doing it in October, or some next summer. I had a lot of questions before I started, so if you do, feel free to ask away!

What was your favourite thing about it?

What were the people in your group like?

Have you kept in touch with anyone since?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
What was your favourite thing about it?

What were the people in your group like?

Have you kept in touch with anyone since?

The best thing for me was meeting people I wouldn't have met if I didn't go on NCS.

The people in my group were really a mixed bag, but I will say this - you won't like everyone on NCS. I met some lovely people in my group.

Yes! I still speak to a few now and then.

Will you be going on NCS? It really is a great experience.
Reply 3

What do you even do for that?
Original post by Black Water
What do you even do for that?

If you do it in the summer, there are 3 phases: the personal challenge. the team challenge and the social action project. on the first one you go on a residential to a pgl type place and do activities like rockclimbing, abseiling etc. on the second one you stay in uni accommodation and learn about a chosen skill (media, enterprise, sport, photography or music). on the 3rd one you do a social action project in your local area and raise money for something (mine was for a local farm). that was the most hard and time consuming part of NCS but overall it was well worth it x
If you do it in the summer, there are 3 phases: the personal challenge. the team challenge and the social action project. on the first one you go on a residential to a pgl type place and do activities like rockclimbing, abseiling etc. on the second one you stay in uni accommodation and learn about a chosen skill (media, enterprise, sport, photography or music). on the 3rd one you do a social action project in your local area and raise money for something (mine was for a local farm). that was the most hard and time consuming part of NCS but overall it was well worth it x

What do you do during the autumn,is it the same?
Original post by Anonymous1502
What do you do during the autumn,is it the same?

sameish, just in a shorter space of time I would imagine. I wouldn't know too much because I did it in the summer, I think the NCS website will have more info x
Reply 7

That's nice to hear. What about October, do you know what they do then?
That's nice to hear. What about October, do you know what they do then?

same thing in a shorter space of time im guessing, are you thinking of doing it?
Reply 9
same thing in a shorter space of time im guessing, are you thinking of doing it?

Oh right. :smile: Yes. :smile:
Oh right. :smile: Yes. :smile:

Great! I love Ozark by the way x
Apart from like 2 people, I haven't spoken to anyone from NCS since I did it. Now that I think about it, I feel like NCS really is overrated.

Spoiler

Reply 12
Great! I love Ozark by the way x

Thanks, so do I!
Reply 13
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
Apart from like 2 people, I haven't spoken to anyone from NCS since I did it. Now that I think about it, I feel like NCS really is overrated.

Spoiler

When did you do NCS?
When did you do NCS?

Last year.
Reply 15
Last year.

Oh ok. Summer?
Whats ncs
Original post by Angry Bird
Whats ncs

National Citizen Service, a youth programme (for 15-17 years olds), usually done in the summer with residential parts and 'social action' parts that usually don't make that much of an impact. You make a **** load of friendships in a very short time period 'cause of the activities you're thrown together in during the residential part.By the 3rd week, you get lowkey sick of the people there. And a lot of the friendships don't last for more than a few months after the programme is over. Still, you get a certificate and other opportunities after you graduate.

Oh ok. Summer?

Yup. I've heard the October programme is a rip off and awkward considering it's only two weeks.
Reply 18
National Citizen Service, a youth programme (for 15-17 years olds), usually done in the summer with residential parts and 'social action' parts that usually don't make that much of an impact. You make a **** load of friendships in a very short time period 'cause of the activities you're thrown together in during the residential part.By the 3rd week, you get lowkey sick of the people there. And a lot of the friendships don't last for more than a few months after the programme is over. Still, you get a certificate and other opportunities after you graduate.

Yup. I've heard the October programme is a rip off and awkward considering it's only two weeks.

Yeah true. Where do you even stay? And for how long?

sounds like a load of ******** lol

Quick Reply

Latest