Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know some people will be doing it in October, or some next summer. I had a lot of questions before I started, so if you do, feel free to ask away!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by strawberries567)
    I know some people will be doing it in October, or some next summer. I had a lot of questions before I started, so if you do, feel free to ask away!
    What was your favourite thing about it?

What were the people in your group like?

Have you kept in touch with anyone since?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    What was your favourite thing about it?

What were the people in your group like?

Have you kept in touch with anyone since?
    The best thing for me was meeting people I wouldn't have met if I didn't go on NCS.

The people in my group were really a mixed bag, but I will say this - you won't like everyone on NCS. I met some lovely people in my group.

Yes! I still speak to a few now and then.

Will you be going on NCS? It really is a great experience.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    What do you even do for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    What do you even do for that?
    If you do it in the summer, there are 3 phases: the personal challenge. the team challenge and the social action project. on the first one you go on a residential to a pgl type place and do activities like rockclimbing, abseiling etc. on the second one you stay in uni accommodation and learn about a chosen skill (media, enterprise, sport, photography or music). on the 3rd one you do a social action project in your local area and raise money for something (mine was for a local farm). that was the most hard and time consuming part of NCS but overall it was well worth it x

ReputationRep:
    If you do it in the summer, there are 3 phases: the personal challenge. the team challenge and the social action project. on the first one you go on a residential to a pgl type place and do activities like rockclimbing, abseiling etc. on the second one you stay in uni accommodation and learn about a chosen skill (media, enterprise, sport, photography or music). on the 3rd one you do a social action project in your local area and raise money for something (mine was for a local farm). that was the most hard and time consuming part of NCS but overall it was well worth it x
    What do you do during the autumn,is it the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    What do you do during the autumn,is it the same?
    sameish, just in a shorter space of time I would imagine. I wouldn't know too much because I did it in the summer, I think the NCS website will have more info x
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    That's nice to hear. What about October, do you know what they do then?

ReputationRep:
    That's nice to hear. What about October, do you know what they do then?
    same thing in a shorter space of time im guessing, are you thinking of doing it?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    same thing in a shorter space of time im guessing, are you thinking of doing it?
    Oh right. Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. Yes.
    Great! I love Ozark by the way x

ReputationRep:
    Apart from like 2 people, I haven't spoken to anyone from NCS since I did it. Now that I think about it, I feel like NCS really is overrated.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I probably shouldn't say this, being an Ambassador.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Great! I love Ozark by the way x
    Thanks, so do I!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    Apart from like 2 people, I haven't spoken to anyone from NCS since I did it. Now that I think about it, I feel like NCS really is overrated.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I probably shouldn't say this, being an Ambassador.

When did you do NCS?

ReputationRep:
    When did you do NCS?
    Last year.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Last year.
    Oh ok. Summer?

ReputationRep:
    Whats ncs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    Whats ncs
    National Citizen Service, a youth programme (for 15-17 years olds), usually done in the summer with residential parts and 'social action' parts that usually don't make that much of an impact. You make a **** load of friendships in a very short time period 'cause of the activities you're thrown together in during the residential part.By the 3rd week, you get lowkey sick of the people there. And a lot of the friendships don't last for more than a few months after the programme is over. Still, you get a certificate and other opportunities after you graduate.

Oh ok. Summer?
    Yup. I've heard the October programme is a rip off and awkward considering it's only two weeks.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    National Citizen Service, a youth programme (for 15-17 years olds), usually done in the summer with residential parts and 'social action' parts that usually don't make that much of an impact. You make a **** load of friendships in a very short time period 'cause of the activities you're thrown together in during the residential part.By the 3rd week, you get lowkey sick of the people there. And a lot of the friendships don't last for more than a few months after the programme is over. Still, you get a certificate and other opportunities after you graduate.

Yup. I've heard the October programme is a rip off and awkward considering it's only two weeks.
    Yeah true. Where do you even stay? And for how long?

ReputationRep:

sounds like a load of ******** lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.