Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking part in MOG this year and I noticed that the 2016 thresholds last year were unusually low–I was wondering if anyone knew the average threshold of past years (e.g. The 2015 thresholds) as it would be quite a nice reference to have!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastelx)
    I'm taking part in MOG this year and I noticed that the 2016 thresholds last year were unusually low–I was wondering if anyone knew the average threshold of past years (e.g. The 2015 thresholds) as it would be quite a nice reference to have!
    I was looking for those too and couldn't find them anywhere I don't think they're online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    I was looking for those too and couldn't find them anywhere I don't think they're online.
    Awww that’s such a pain!! Hopefully someone on TSR might remember roughly what the boundaries usually are?

Have you been preparing for MOG?

ReputationRep:
    Awww that’s such a pain!! Hopefully someone on TSR might remember roughly what the boundaries usually are?

Information about prizewinners' scores are here if you keep scrolling down long enough.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I hope so! My school didn't get their crap together and register me...but I've done some questions and am using MOG papers for additional SMC/BMO prep. We can exchange solutions and stuff if you want

ReputationRep:
    This may help, not sure if the thresholds are there though.

https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/ukmog.shtml

ReputationRep:
    I hope so! My school didn't get their crap together and register me...but I've done some questions and am using MOG papers for additional SMC/BMO prep. We can exchange solutions and stuff if you want
    Oo sure! Honestly I haven’t done much prep and am not expecting an award since I’m only Year12 and it’s completely optional for my year’s FM class (only Yr13 are actually meant to be doing it at my school) and that’s partly why I was wondering what the thresholds are–I only managed to get two questions on the 2015 paper I tried!

That’s a real shame that you’re not doing MOG but it does seem like the questions are good practice for BMO!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Oo sure! Honestly I haven’t done much prep and am not expecting an award since I’m only Year12 and it’s completely optional for my year’s FM class (only Yr13 are actually meant to be doing it at my school) and that’s partly why I was wondering what the thresholds are–I only managed to get two questions on the 2015 paper I tried!

That’s a real shame that you’re not doing MOG but it does seem like the questions are good practice for BMO!
    Shall we choose a paper and each post our solutions here? Or we could do it via PM, I don't mind

Yeah, I saw only 32 people got over 30 last year :O it's difficult! I've only attempted one question so far and I almost got it right (the neat combinatorics one in the 2016 paper; I made an arithmetic error) but there are at least two questions on that paper which I had absolutely no idea how to do. I feel like there's more geometry in MOG than in BMO1 as well, and I suck at geometry

ReputationRep:
    I feel like there's more geometry in MOG than in BMO1 as well, and I suck at geometry
    Girls are more visual thinkers, boys are more abstract thinkers.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I suck at geometry as well. I was good at it at stuff like Intermediate MOs, but then at this level it's just about memorising thousands of theorems, and memorisation was never my forte.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrabDrop)
    Girls are more visual thinkers, boys are more abstract thinkers.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I suck at geometry as well. I was good at it at stuff like Intermediate MOs, but then at this level it's just about memorising thousands of theorems, and memorisation was never my forte.

That's not true in my case :lol: I can only do algebra and combinatorics. I didn't even bother learning all the Euclidean stuff...maybe I should if I actually qualify for BMO1

ReputationRep:
    Shall we choose a paper and each post our solutions here? Or we could do it via PM, I don't mind

Yeah, I saw only 32 people got over 30 last year :O it's difficult! I've only attempted one question so far and I almost got it right (the neat combinatorics one in the 2016 paper; I made an arithmetic error) but there are at least two questions on that paper which I had absolutely no idea how to do. I feel like there's more geometry in MOG than in BMO1 as well, and I suck at geometry
    Yeah I'm happy to discuss on thread! I've successfully done the first 2 questions on the 2015 paper and I sort of got the answer to the 4th question (although I'd probably give myself 3/10 because my method was so bad XD); I had no idea how to do the other two questions!

Do you think there is a merit mark for MOG like with the intermediate olympiads? I don't think I'm going to make around the 30/50 mark at this rate!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.