Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm looking into applying to Bristol. I got a pretty low ukcat score at 632.5 avg but band 1 sjt, with 6a*s 1 btec distinction* and 3as at gcse.
    I'm really trying to tailor my personal statement to Bristol by mentioning my part time job, work experience and other extra curricular activities (volunteering in a care home, going to medical conferences/lectures and being the year 12 student representative) and linking these back to the qualities of a doctor (working in a multidisciplinary team, empathy ect).
    Is there anyone who has applied to Bristol successfully (or unsuccessfully!) or knows someone who has who can give me some advice? Also, I know the ukcat weighting is low at 20% but would my score still hinder my chances? Or does it work out that getting an interview relies on your personal statement?
    Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellentheweeb)
    Hi,
    I'm looking into applying to Bristol. I got a pretty low ukcat score at 632.5 avg but band 1 sjt, with 6a*s 1 btec distinction* and 3as at gcse.
    I'm really trying to tailor my personal statement to Bristol by mentioning my part time job, work experience and other extra curricular activities (volunteering in a care home, going to medical conferences/lectures and being the year 12 student representative) and linking these back to the qualities of a doctor (working in a multidisciplinary team, empathy ect).
    Is there anyone who has applied to Bristol successfully (or unsuccessfully!) or knows someone who has who can give me some advice? Also, I know the ukcat weighting is low at 20% but would my score still hinder my chances? Or does it work out that getting an interview relies on your personal statement?
    Thanks!
    Hi there!

In terms of tailoring your personal statement for medicine to a specific med school, many universities will look for the same things (for example, reflecting on work experience, extracurriculars, etc).

However, regarding work experience specifically, you might find it useful to look at our page on Medical School Work Experience Requirements, which details the kinds of work experience each med school looks for.

For how universities use your personal statement, you could also look at our page on How Medical Schools Use Your Personal Statement.

And for how medical schools use the UKCAT - check out our UKCAT guide!

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.