The Student Room Group

Advice on application

I'm really not sure if Oxford university is the one for me, however I've got the entry requirement grades (and some) for my course and as the deadline is looming for applications, I'm wondering if I should just apply anyway and see what happens? I've not even looked around the uni, nor know much about it, as I live very northern and it is too expensive to travel down and stay over to have a look around, it takes 8 hours by train one way. I have tried to arrange another day to look around but I'm not physically able to get there on my days off work. Should I just apply? Or would they be able to tell in the interview that I don't really know anything about the uni, other than what I've read?
I would be happy enough applying to other unis that are almost as good, but somehow feel like I'm selling myself short. Don't want to regret not applying/going if I can't get a job after graduating.
Anyone with personal experience or advice to give me? Hate the stress we are all under :frown:
If you can, I'd say go for it if you want to. Plans can be re-arranged and I think they do telephone/Skype interviews too (don't quote me on that, I'm not certain). Imagine never knowing what would have happened. It's stressful, but if you can handle it, whatever the outcome, giving it a go means you can hold your head up high and say that you tried. Good luck!
Original post by javvyjingle
I'm really not sure if Oxford university is the one for me, however I've got the entry requirement grades (and some) for my course and as the deadline is looming for applications, I'm wondering if I should just apply anyway and see what happens? I've not even looked around the uni, nor know much about it, as I live very northern and it is too expensive to travel down and stay over to have a look around, it takes 8 hours by train one way. I have tried to arrange another day to look around but I'm not physically able to get there on my days off work. Should I just apply? Or would they be able to tell in the interview that I don't really know anything about the uni, other than what I've read?
I would be happy enough applying to other unis that are almost as good, but somehow feel like I'm selling myself short. Don't want to regret not applying/going if I can't get a job after graduating.
Anyone with personal experience or advice to give me? Hate the stress we are all under :frown:

If you'd regret not applying then apply! They don't care what you know about the uni, we never got asked anything like that at interview as there just isn't time.
Original post by CatusStarbright
If you'd regret not applying then apply! They don't care what you know about the uni, we never got asked anything like that at interview as there just isn't time.

Ok thank you. Did you end up going there and what subject did you study? How did you find it and the interview? Any advice welcome :smile:
Ok thank you. Did you end up going there and what subject did you study? How did you find it and the interview? Any advice welcome :smile:

I was actually narrowly rejected post-interview. I applied for Law (I'm now currently studying Law with French Law at the Uni of Leeds). We actually got two interviews at Keble College, each 20 minutes (the different colleges all have their own interview systems). The first one discussed a key idea/concept related to law and in the second we got given a sheet with an explanation of a legal term and based on that we had to discuss several scenarios.

I did lots of prep for my interview based on what I'd written in my PS (e.g. re-reading parts of the books I mentioned) but it was all pointless and a waste of time since all they asked me was what I studied in A Level law before launching into the interview properly.

My advice would be (for any subject) to think aloud and don't be afraid to say that you can see more than one side to an argument. Show that you are open-minded and willing to change your stance if necessary - but be prepared to justify why you changed your opinion. Most of all, don't panic and enjoy discussing a subject you love with an expert in that field!
(edited 6 years ago)

For what it's worth, I didn't visit Oxford before I applied either (since I lived halfway around the globe - a thirteen hour flight away!) and it was fine. The tutors don't care for what you know (or don't know) about the university in general - all they're interested in is your potential for your chosen subject. The interviews are purely academic in nature - they won't ask you why you applied to Oxford or that particular college.

If you're at all interested in the course offered, I'd definitely consider giving it a shot. :smile:
Reply 6
Just to reiterate what others have said - no one will care how much you know about the university, and CatusStarbright's interview advice is all good (but do be prepared to justify what you say in your PS in case it does come up!).
Original post by Estreth
Just to reiterate what others have said - no one will care how much you know about the university, and CatusStarbright's interview advice is all good (but do be prepared to justify what you say in your PS in case it does come up!).

Yeah just to clarify, I didn't mean not to bother to be prepared to talk about your PS, just don't spend ages on the prep!

Quick Reply

Latest