Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just started at uni this past week and there's one issue with my flat that's really pissing me off - they smoke weed in the kitchen.

I personally don't smoke but I have no issue with those who do - it's their life and their choice.

But ****ing hell the kitchen smells horrendous in the morning, it's so strong it makes me retch. And the table is always covered with loose tobacco. It's like a freaking drugs den.

I don't really want to start drama in my flat at this stage, besides I'm outnumbered. There's one other girl who I don't think is cool with it but I get the impression she really doesn't wanna rock the boat.

I'd like to stress I'm fine with them having a good time, I drink and I like a night out myself. I'm not some antisocial recluse.

I just wanna be able to cook in my kitchen without it stinking of weed. And I'd rather not have the smell on my clothes or hair either.

There's lots of other minor issues but I can live with them - it's the smoking in the kitchen thing that really does my head in. They don't even open the windows.

Is this a normal thing for uni flats? Is putting up and shutting up the only option?

ReputationRep:
    Ask them nicely if they'd be willing to open the windows/smoke elsewhere. Without rocking the boat you don't have many other options; the issue is definitely with them if they're hostile towards you for politely making a fair suggestion.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewStudent97)
    Just started at uni this past week and there's one issue with my flat that's really pissing me off - they smoke weed in the kitchen.

I personally don't smoke but I have no issue with those who do - it's their life and their choice.

But ****ing hell the kitchen smells horrendous in the morning, it's so strong it makes me retch. And the table is always covered with loose tobacco. It's like a freaking drugs den.

I don't really want to start drama in my flat at this stage, besides I'm outnumbered. There's one other girl who I don't think is cool with it but I get the impression she really doesn't wanna rock the boat.

I'd like to stress I'm fine with them having a good time, I drink and I like a night out myself. I'm not some antisocial recluse.

I just wanna be able to cook in my kitchen without it stinking of weed. And I'd rather not have the smell on my clothes or hair either.

There's lots of other minor issues but I can live with them - it's the smoking in the kitchen thing that really does my head in. They don't even open the windows.

Is this a normal thing for uni flats? Is putting up and shutting up the only option?
    You could see if someone would switch with you once your university allows accomodation swaps.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, thanks for the responses.

I should bring it up with them, yeah - ideal scenario is they're cool and agree to go outside. Only thing is a couple of them in particular are really bolshy characters. Not nasty characters, just not really the type to compromise. Just a bit nervous on that front but will def grow some balls.

I'll have to see on that option, but not sure as the halls are not university owned - just approved. Does this make a difference? Can't afford to pay double rent.

ReputationRep:
    If they have visitors who join in with the smoking, why don't you ask them if they would like to swap with you? Play it with a smile like "I'm sure it'd be more convenient if you moved in and I took my boring ass elsewhere!"

ReputationRep:
    Isn't weed illegal? Loool I'd snitch 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    That would piss me off too, like even if I was smoking it I wouldn't wanna do it in my kitchen, that's rank.

Hopefully they'll be willing to compromise because it wouldn't exactly go down well if you made a complaint to the landlord/whoever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewStudent97)

My first thing would be to say to talk to this girl who also isnt really into it, just ask her if she would be willing to stand with you on it because its really bothering you.

Then either with her or by yourself just casually bring it up. Just say youre totally chill with them smoking but just ask if they would please just go outside because its causing issues for you. If worst comes to the worst say it gets on your throat. At the end of the day you live there too and have every right to say that.

As a very last resort, and I would say only do this if they are being real dicks about it or refuse to stop, contact your halls office. Say theyre smoking in the kitchen but i would advise to leave the fact its weed out. Chances are they shouldnt be smoking in there anyway and are breaking tenancy agreement so the halls office will bring it up with them and most likely wont say its you. Chances are if youve noticed the smell other people will have too so they will just say its an anonymous complaint. Once again though that would be a last resort.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.