The Student Room Group

Advice for postgraduate personal statements

Hi guys, it's been a long time since I wrote my undergrad tips so I'm looking to freshen up before I begin my postgrad statement in a few weeks- all I know is that I have to reflect on the wider issues of speech and language therapy by drawing on my work experience.

We set no ‘minimum’ amount of work experience, although you should try to gain some experience working with both adults and children with communication difficulties. Generally, we are much more interested in how you show that you have made the best of your experiences, what you have learned from them, and how they fit into your plan for career/personal development and around your personal circumstances. Undertaking a range of experiences can be a useful way to develop more insight into the role of the speech and language therapist.

This is basically all I've been given, so how should I lay it out etc? I know this is simple stuff for people applying in college but I don't have access to the constant pestering and advice from personal tutors and career advisers- something I never thought i'd miss!

Scroll to see replies

What kind of experience are you hoping to mention in your personal statement?

You could mention any achievements, challenges or projects you have done, why you did a particular role, anything interesting that you learnt which may have informed you career decisons.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
What kind of experience are you hoping to mention in your personal statement?

You could mention any achievements, challenges or projects you have done, why you did a particular role, anything interesting that you learnt which may have informed you career decisons.

Original post by arneldfad
Hi guys, I'm going to be applying to Sheffield and Newcastle this year, anyone have any tips? What do you guys think of my current amount of work experience?

Shadowed a paediatric SLT in a clinical setting and observed assessment and treatment

Shadowed a paediatric SLT for three school visits and observed assessment and treatment

Currently working on ward with the royal voluntary service as a conversation partner for stroke survivors and dementia sufferers (check them out if you need any experience with these groups)

Been caring for my grandmother who's a stroke survivor with vascular dementia and suffers from dysarthria

Visited a school I'd observed an SLT at and worked with staff and the children by carrying out the treatment provided by the SLT

Shadowed an SLT at a local special needs school

Helped out with the children at a special needs school for a few days focusing on communication difficulties

Been working with the child of a family friend with delayed language for the past 12 months, been carrying out vocal exercises and verb modelling prescribed by a private SLT while the parents were busy working

I also have an observation session coming up in a couple of weeks with (hopefully) adult communication disorder sufferers at a nearby city.

And (hopefully again) a few days observation at a local private SLT service.

I'd love to apply to some of the unis in the south like Reading and UCL, but the cost of living is far too high, and noone has any idea what the funding situation will be like for 2018 entry! I am certain however that there are more places now, as the reason the courses were so competitive was due to the NHS funding- Sheffield have even removed the course requirements from their page!

Copy pasted from another thread, I have a decent amount of experience I think, but I have no idea how to even begin discussing it, or how I should structure the statement- do I do all the usual stuff on why I'd like to do the course etc? Is there like a template or something?
It is similar to your undergraduate personal statement, but I think you would need to cover more of the work experience that you did. Post grad study is a step up so you need to write it in a way that ties in with your career ambitions and personal and professional development.

I would start off with a short paragraph about why you are applying for the course, maybe mention what you did in your previous degree. The bulk of your personal statement should include your work experience. Pick a few which addresses the points that I mentioned in my previous reply. You could include examples of things that happened - any challenging situations which you resolved. You should write in a way that also emphasises your personal qualities as well as your professional skills.

Have you thought about asking your careers centre for advice on writing it?
Reply 4
Thanks a lot for your advice, that seems like a pretty good structure, how would I got about emphasising my personal skills? The application page mentions that you have to align with key NHS values, so should I basically find a way of winding those into my own personal skills?

Have you thought about asking your careers centre for advice on writing it?

I never thought of that, all we have nearby is an inspira, but are they suited to doing this sort of thing? Also, do you think it's worth contacting the careers centre at the uni I did my undergraduate degree at?
If you use the example where you worked with children at a special needs school, you could mention that you forged a good relationship with the students, who found it difficult. You remained calm and patient, and did your best to improve their communication skills.

You mentioned that you worked with a family friend's child. Perhaps the family friend was worried and you spoke to her to reassure her that her child was progressing fine. This would indicate that you have good communication and an ability to relate and empathise with people.

Did you organise any events or activities for the dementia sufferers or stroke survivors? This would show your compassion and how you would like to make life more enjoyable for them, as well improving morale of family and staff.

These are just general examples, whilst you were doing your placements, there will be examples of things to include. If applicable, you could try and incorporate this with the NHS values.

Sorry, I don't know what inspire is, but if you are a recent graduate, you can still seek help from your careers centre.
Reply 6
Thanks a lot, your examples are brilliant and have given me a pretty good idea of what to include. I'll try and get hold of my old university's career centre and see if they can give me a hand,
Reply 7
If you use the example where you worked with children at a special needs school, you could mention that you forged a good relationship with the students, who found it difficult. You remained calm and patient, and did your best to improve their communication skills.

You mentioned that you worked with a family friend's child. Perhaps the family friend was worried and you spoke to her to reassure her that her child was progressing fine. This would indicate that you have good communication and an ability to relate and empathise with people.

Did you organise any events or activities for the dementia sufferers or stroke survivors? This would show your compassion and how you would like to make life more enjoyable for them, as well improving morale of family and staff.

These are just general examples, whilst you were doing your placements, there will be examples of things to include. If applicable, you could try and incorporate this with the NHS values.

Sorry, I don't know what inspire is, but if you are a recent graduate, you can still seek help from your careers centre.

Hi, I also found this;

The Supporting Statement is an important part of your application. It is for you to tell us how your education and work experience has prepared you for a career in speech and language therapy. In particular, we look for evidence of reflection about and insight into the MMedSci programme and the career of speech and language therapy. You can also discuss any personal skills and attributes that you feel might strengthen your application, raise any points for future development and demonstrate your ability to write in an appropriately formal and professional style. You should try to provide details and evidence wherever possible to back up any points that you make. Some possible ways of doing this include: discussing particularly significant personal and/or work experiences; providing a small number of citations to academic books and/or research; referring to service, policy or political issues that you may have personally experienced first-hand, or read about in the media.

Could you offer any insight into what they say here?

Reply 8
Hi there,
where could i find the proper lenght for my postgrad PS? i am applying for Manchester, Nottingham and New Castle.
Reply 9
Original post by Dariela
Hi there,
where could i find the proper lenght for my postgrad PS? i am applying for Manchester, Nottingham and New Castle.

The universities themselves should give you a length.
Reply 10
The universities themselves should give you a length.

I am writing my PS for Nottingham firstly and i cant find the length in the online application, they only said "please use this space to summarise your academic interests and your reasons for choosing your intended course study." what should i do?
Reply 11
Original post by Dariela
I am writing my PS for Nottingham firstly and i cant find the length in the online application, they only said "please use this space to summarise your academic interests and your reasons for choosing your intended course study." what should i do?

It'd probably be best to contact the admissions secretary for the department of the course you're applying for- they should be able to give you some guidance.
Reply 12
It'd probably be best to contact the admissions secretary for the department of the course you're applying for- they should be able to give you some guidance.

ok, thanks! i will do it
Hi, I also found this;

The Supporting Statement is an important part of your application. It is for you to tell us how your education and work experience has prepared you for a career in speech and language therapy. In particular, we look for evidence of reflection about and insight into the MMedSci programme and the career of speech and language therapy. You can also discuss any personal skills and attributes that you feel might strengthen your application, raise any points for future development and demonstrate your ability to write in an appropriately formal and professional style. You should try to provide details and evidence wherever possible to back up any points that you make. Some possible ways of doing this include: discussing particularly significant personal and/or work experiences; providing a small number of citations to academic books and/or research; referring to service, policy or political issues that you may have personally experienced first-hand, or read about in the media.

Could you offer any insight into what they say here?

Like I said before, you need to pick highlights from your work experience to answer this brief. Firstly consider why you want to work in this field and what makes you the right person to work in such a field. What qualities do you have - use the examples from your previous experience. You could also talk about anything you find anything particularly interesting. Was there a piece of research that you came across in your undergraduate studies that you found fascinating, and if so, why?

Lastly, you need to write this well. Make sure your form is organised and that you points link and flow well! After you have written it, give it to someone to look over to make sure it reads well.

Best of luck!
If you look at the advice in my signature below, the best comparison is the medicine PSs. You need to show your understanding of the role by reflecting on what you've seen and the skills required and show your skills through your volunteering etc. Look at the advice at the bottom of this post :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by *Interrobang*
If you look at the advice in my signature below, the best comparison is the medicine PSs. You need to show your understanding of the role by reflecting on what you've seen and the skills required and show your skills through your volunteering etc. Look at the advice at the bottom of this post :smile:

Thanks a lot, this stuff seems really useful! :h::h:
Reply 16

Hi, is there any chance you could take a look at a mock up of my personal statement? Or does this site offer anything like that? I've been a member for years but all I've really done is lurked
Reply 18

Hi, I'm trying to submit but It's telling me that my post is too short and I must lengthen my post to 2 or more characters, even though it's well over that.
Hi, I'm trying to submit but It's telling me that my post is too short and I must lengthen my post to 2 or more characters, even though it's well over that.

Are you copying and pasting the PS into the thread?

Quick Reply

Latest