Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are my halls too loud or am i just uptight? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How loud is too loud for your uni halls to be? I arrived at my halls today and it is now 11:15pm and i am in bed. There are people outside my room talking loudly and even smoking weed in the building. I would have thought that they would have some consideration for others who have to get up early in the morning.

So my question is: Should i expect this to be a normal part of uni life and just accept it and say nothing or should i do something about it?

ReputationRep:
    what uni are you in just out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    Normal part of uni life really. Didn't your uni have a 'quiet halls' option or something along those lines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pidge Gunderson)
    Normal part of uni life really. Didn't your uni have a 'quiet halls' option or something along those lines?
    i think they do but i got in through clearing so i got what i was given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1Confused.child)
    what uni are you in just out of curiosity?
    Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    could be to do with the fact it's the first month, might settle down by the time October rolls in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tisost)
    How loud is too loud for your uni halls to be? I arrived at my halls today and it is now 11:15pm and i am in bed. There are people outside my room talking loudly and even smoking weed in the building. I would have thought that they would have some consideration for others who have to get up early in the morning.

So my question is: Should i expect this to be a normal part of uni life and just accept it and say nothing or should i do something about it?
    You're not being unreasonable. Noise should be kept lower past 11pm in my opinion and if they're doing it right outside your door that's not very considerate. Just ask them nicely if they wouldn't mind going into the kitchen as you have to be up early and are trying to sleep.

I don't think they'll have a problem with it. Sometimes people are just not aware of how much noise they're making and how close they are to peoples bedrooms.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff
    If you're up in one of the Tally's don't expect quiet living sadly😒

ReputationRep:
    You're not uptight. But the first month of living in halls will be loud (or at least more so). And often students who have just moved away from home experiencing freedom, money and drinking for the first time...well they aren't exactly the most caring or considerate of people when it comes to noise and their hall-mates.

Invest in some earplugs. If those don't work (they don't for me) I recommend some in-ear headphones and listen to some relaxing sounds, whatever you fancy. Because the noise likely won't stop for a while. Which is why I hated halls, moved into house shares from 2nd year onward, never looked back.

ReputationRep:

Can you give more details about 'outside my room'? Is this the only communal area they have? Also, have you met these people?

If that's their only space you can't really demand that they not use it, but it's only common courtesy to lower your voice when people are sleeping. You could ask for that and then justifiably make a fuss if they kept being unreasonably noisy at that time.

ReputationRep:
    I do not miss halls one bit :lol:

As someone else mentioned, just ask them nicely if they could keep it down. It’s pretty normal for noise during freshers season, but things should get quieter later on in the year.

If In the unlikely chance you ask them politely and they still don’t talk quieter, I believe there should be a phone number to contact the halls rep or RA etc to alert them of noise. Only use this in the worst circumstances though I’d say, nobody likes a party pooper!

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand you, I’ve got the same
    Problem in my place and I just find even if you ask people to be quiet they can still be incomsiderate. Best thing to do is speak to the reception / security. Also perhaps try some ear plugs or worst case scenario see if there’s another room available. I find it hard with noise especially at night. When it’s 2am and you’re woken up it’s very annoying! Count yourself lucky I was kept up til 6am with noise the other day - people are inconsiderate!

ReputationRep:
    It's 11pm and they're just talking. It's not a big deal. I would say loud music/shouting after midnight is reason to ask epople to keep it down and it's not worth kicking up a huge fuss unless that's happening most days/regularly during the week.

Student halls are noisy. It's inconsiderate and selfish but there's no point fighting battles you won't win.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.